Gibson Brands Forums

Another Recording On My Cargill

BluesKing777

Not used to you doing a straight ballad. Really, really nice.

Thanks Nick!

Did you notice the free bonus bird sounds from next to my window? It goes all day and sometimes really loud, but there can be worse around here, let me tell you!

Guitar is incredible [biggrin] Luthier said the action will raise over the first few weeks of tension and to take it down there for various adjustments. Hope it lasts till after Xmas...

BluesKing777.

Very good recording. Vocals and your new guitar sound great! Now that you have had it little while, what's your take on the Cargill guitar's ranking in terms of your favorites in your collection. In the your top 3? Top 5? Top 10? Which in your collections ranks #1?

Curious.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Can I take the Amendment on the top 10? what a tough question and what if the Better Half reads this? If it ranks low, she'll say "Why you got that one then?" etc.

So to arrive at the Cargill and my ordering the Big V neck and wide spacing needs a lot of backstory of experimenting with various guitars and their necks.....I always had read how wider is better for blues fingerpicking but the guitars with those necks were nowhere in sight around here and I learned on a basic dread with skinny neck etc. Couldn't buy what I wanted even if I knew what it was! And then a few years ago I gave up smoking and put the smoke money towards various guitars, but I didn't know how that one addiction replace the previous! :rolleyes:

So I have some guitars that you guys that strum Birds for silky chords would play and throw on the bonfire in fear and disgust. But I put the slide on them and...

I have all, or have had a lot of the de-riguer blues guitars and I could survive with just them.

But as I play more and don't smoke, I have been lucky to get three absolute masterpieces, in order of my purchase not preference:

1. The sad old 1937 Gibson L-0 I bought off Ebay and sounded good but looked and played awful, so my luthier did a neck set, new fingerboard, new frets, bridge, saddle, nut, tuners and removed the home decorating. And bingo, one stunning masterpiece. Blues Deluxe!

2. Martin OM18 Authentic VTS. Another stunner that has the torrefied top and had a while on the Tonerite and now just 'blooms' while I play it. Beautiful sound. Stunning masterpiece.

3. Cargill custom. Body based on the Nick Lucas shape but made with African Ebony b/s, Italian Spruce top and Honduran Mahogany neck based on the specs of my wide space Martin OM18V, but with fuller cheeks that hold the hand. Beautiful sound. Stunning masterpiece.

The rest of my guitars have their moments, but are basic guitars off the rack, really. I don't have any guitars I don't LIKE any more.

But I just love every acoustic guitar I try and I have said it before but the only horrid guitar I have played was the one I had for years and another belonged to a friend. Pigs! No longer. But I could get by as long as I had six strings...... :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Thanks QM, FP and FB!

I got the general 'idea' of the tune off Chordie.com. and did the rest from memory, hope it is right, but I just wanted to play something 'nice' and open sounding on the Cargill, and this tune came to mind....

I am hoping the lyrics are ironic and I have found what I am looking for with this guitar! I am sure Bono's lyrics are meant to express some very deep meaning(s), not guitars, but you know....

This can't be THE guitar, can it. What would I do with my internet time? [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Thanks for those replies!

Even if the guitar sounded bad, it would look great on a wall!

Even if the guitar looked stupid, it is great to play!

But it sounds great, looks great, and great to play! I think I have a winner. [flapper] Can't ask for more than that.

BluesKing777.

Archived