Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Maple Custom

jw3571

I'm considering buying the maple Hummingbird Custom in Viper blue, it's limited edition, I already have a hummingbird that's red spruce/mahogany. Would owning these two be redundant or since it's maple would it make it quite a bit of difference? I won't be able to play before i buy. Thanks

I would like to also hear a bit more about these from those that played or own one. I lpayed one yesterday at a big box shop here in Adelaide and absolutely loved it. Clean, transparent tone, simple yet Gibson character all over it. Played around 10 Gibson acoustics they had here and thought this one and yet again ..... the J-15 were the pick of the bunch.

I have a feeling Ill get a maple dread in 2017, just not sure if it will be teh short scale Bird or long scale Dove. Would prefer short scale to complement the long scale J-150 that i used for gigs.

Greetings from down under.

That would make it a short scale Dove, being maple and all. Maple is brighter, punchier and has a much tighter low end than mahogany. And better sustain as well. A decidedly different voice than a mahogany Hummingbird. Might be an interesting version, but to me it's a short scale Dove.

That would make it a short scale Dove, being maple and all. Maple is brighter, punchier and has a much tighter low end than mahogany. And better sustain as well. A decidedly different voice than a mahogany Hummingbird. Might be an interesting version, but to me it's a short scale Dove.

That's how I'd categorize it as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but - cosmetics aside - it is what it is. Probably easier to market and all, keeping in mind that Hummingbirds are hot these days and the notion of long/short scale tends to confuse some folks.

Well I pulled the trigger on it, I'll post pics next week when I get it.

jw, well if you have pulled the trigger it suffices for me to say, enjoy. I have a quilt that I keep because of its tone. Amen.

Maple Hummingbirds were available in the early 60's .

True. It is said that factory production of Doves was optimistic and some of the excess was cosmetically made Hummingbirds, long scale maple Hummingbirds. Did these factory aberrations sport the TOM bridge that was in use on Doves at the time?

A short scale maple guitar like this one might well have a very fine tone. Enjoy!

Archived