Gibson Brands Forums

Any discount on Gary's Class Guitars(Ohio ?)

gotomsdos

Hi, buddies out there.

I'm paying for a Banner J-45. But the GAS does not seem to have gone. Also I'd like to get an early 50's J-45(as a comparison), especially 1950-1951. After long time searching, found Gary's Class Guitars(Ohio ?) has three 1950-1951 J-45s.

http://www.garysguitars.com/search?keys=j-45

But the price is very high(6xxx-7xxx). The rest of my budget is limited. Anyone who ever bought from him ? Any discount ? or can make an offer? if yes, about how much percentage discount ?

Any input would be much appreciated.

The used guitar market is different from the new guitar market, in that there are no fixed prices established by the manufacturer. The final selling price is whatever is determined by negotiations between the buyer and seller.

The seller starts off with an asking price, which may or may not have any flexibility in it. You should always feel free to make an offer, and the seller will always feel free to reject your offer, but may make a counter offer.

I've never dealt with this particular dealer. He gets nice guitars, but his prices tend to be high. The good thing about buying from a reputable dealer is that there is usually (but not always) a return period, where you can send the guitar back if you feel it has been misrepresented in any way.

At the same time, it's always "caveat emptor": let the buyer beware.

Make an offer and don't be timid about it. This is business - nobody takes anything personally.

You'll have to do research. Find the average selling price on Reverb and other resale sites, make an adjustment from that for the guitar they have (better or worse condition, etc). I wouldn't come in with a set percentage in mind - every sale is different.

If they're not willing to sell for what you consider a reasonable price, walk away. They'll either find their buyer or they'll sit on the inventory for a while. This is just like buying a car or a trinket at the flea market.

I have always wondered if Gary's Guitars actually gets those prices they ask. Then again, I have never gone out with cash in my pocket intending to buy a guitar never mind searching down a specific make, model and year.

The prices are absurd in most instances. Can't help but wonder the same thing....

Goto-

Don't feel bad about any latent GAS after your recent purchase of the incoming Banner; it is not uncommon to continue to look around, wondering if you made the right decision. Rest assured- I think you made a very good decision on that J-45.

Here is some previous discussion on Gary’s, and his “ambitious" pricing : Link

And Happy Birthday, J45Nick. + many more.

Good news! I thought 70 was the new 60 I like the forum more all the time

You would, since you're just a couple of days younger than I am. Lots of guitar-pickin' Aquarian geezers here, for better or worse. Makes sense, if you think about it.

Goto-

Here is some previous discussion on Gary’s, and his “ambitious" pricing : Link

Wow Thank you 62burst for your good brain ! the discussion thread was started just by myself more than 3 years back ! Too long to remember...my God,HAHAHA...just dig this retro stuff...

You would, since you're just a couple of days younger than I am. Lots of guitar-pickin' Aquarian geezers here, for better or worse. Makes sense, if you think about it.

Yes it does☺ These days, thinking about stuff that makes sense is rare and deeply appreciated!

I have bought and sold to Gary. His prices are high. He didn't budge on the price of a 1963 LG-2. I sold him a 1963 Fender Esquire for a very good price. He turned around and had it on his site for a whol lot more. After a few months it was no longer on his site. Who knows what he got for it. He is good to deal with and does offer returns. It never hurts to make an offer.

I have bought and sold to Gary. His prices are high. He didn't budge on the price of a 1963 LG-2. I sold him a 1963 Fender Esquire for a very good price. He turned around and had it on his site for a whol lot more. After a few months it was no longer on his site. Who knows what he got for it. He is good to deal with and does offer returns. It never hurts to make an offer.

Great help , thank you !

Archived