Gibson Brands Forums

2016 les Paul tribute

Adamc

Thanks! So I will have to start looking for a good guy to do guitar work. So by any chance anyone know of one in Michigan lol

call the nearest music store and ask them if they have a reference.

(not a Guitar Center,, just a mom/pop place in or near your home town, there has to be something...)

Network a bit, and ask any guitar players you man, know.. see who they use or who they know of..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adamc,

As I said before a pinched or improper cut nut is a factory defect and Gibson was more than happy to replace the nut with a Graph tech Musq nut on both my guitars. I just contacted Gibson using talk to us on their website and submitted a warranty claim. Gibson paid Guitar Center to replace the nuts on both my LP Custom and ES 335, apparently Gibson chooses to just replace the whole nut. Like I said before, a pinched nut is more than just the width being to small, it is the angle and depth so get it done right. Tell Guitar Center you want them to put in the warranty claim for that guitar for you and replace the nut at no charge to you, Gibson will approve the warranty claim and Guitar Center will get paid by them.

Adamc,

As I said before a pinched or improper cut nut is a factory defect and Gibson was more than happy to replace the nut with a Graph tech Musq nut on both my guitars. I just contacted Gibson using talk to us on their website and submitted a warranty claim. Gibson paid Guitar Center to replace the nuts on both my LP Custom and ES 335, apparently Gibson chooses to just replace the whole nut. Like I said before, a pinched nut is more than just the width being to small, it is the angle and depth so get it done right. Tell Guitar Center you want them to put in the warranty claim for that guitar for you and replace the nut at no charge to you, Gibson will approve the warranty claim and Guitar Center will get paid by them.

I will do that tomorrow. Thanks. Also I registered on the Gibson website, is that all I need for the warranty? They didn't explain that to me, 😐

AdamC,

If you want for faster service just call Gibson Customer service at 1-800-444-2766. Tell them you want to a warranty claim on your guitar. Have the model and serial number avail, and tell them you have a defective nut, it plinks and is impossible to tune or keep tuned because of improper cut nut pinching the strings. Ask them to either fix pr replace the nut or the guitar.

AdamC,

If you want for faster service just call Gibson Customer service at 1-800-444-2766. Tell them you want to a warranty claim on your guitar. Have the model and serial number avail, and tell them you have a defective nut, it plinks and is impossible to tune or keep tuned because of improper cut nut pinching the strings. Ask them to either fix pr replace the nut or the guitar.

Ok thanks, that would be quicker

AdamC,

They'll deal directly with a retail customer?

rct

Well I called Gibson, it almost sounds like they don't believe me. They told me to take it to where I bought it and have their tech evaluate it, and "see if there is anything wrong with it". So I'll be doing that tomorrow. I would consider filling the nut a little myself, but I really don't trust myself and don't want to screw it up in a different way. the nut has been lubed with the graphite pencil like suggested, and no improvement. So I'll have it figured out tomorrow, I know a few have told me not to go back to GC, but that's what the Gibson rep told me to do, and that's the only reason why I'm doing it. Thanks again.

AdamC,

Yeah don't mess with it or have anybody else that is not an authorized Gibson Repair facility, if you do it will void your warranty. I too was told to take it GC that is authorized Gibson Repair and the Tech there sends the claim to Gibson stating the nut needs to be replaced and the nut slots are not cut to specs. Then Gibson Warranty Center responds back to the GC tech authorizing GC to repair the nut or replace the nut and that's it. The GC tech replaces the nut of fixes the nut under Gibson Warranty, there is absolutely no cost to you. A pinched nut slot is not just the width, it is also the angle and depth of the angle to the tuner. Like I said they replaced both the nuts with Graphtech Musq nuts and the tech slotted the nuts per Gibson spec. They both play perfect now, no pinched strings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have an update. Took it to a Gibson certified repair shop. One of three in my state lol. Anyway he said the nut was cut a tad too low, and recommended a bone but, also be checked the truss rod, and thought it was really tight to adjust. He seemed a little disturbed about that. So anyway he told me he could get working on it in like a week and a half. In the meantime I'm browsing guitar center inventories online, and I come across a gold top traditional pro, used....so, it's being shipped to my local guitar center and I'm trading mine in for it lol. It's 1300 bucks, I think it's worth it and I get the neck and body binding which I thought I could live without. Turns out I cannot lol. So that's what I'm doing. Anyone know why the back of the traditional pro, there is a spot for a 9 volt battery?? In lamens terms please haha

Adam

The battery is for the +15 dB Boost circuit that's turned on/off by a push-push pot at the neck PU tone pot position. You also get push-push pots in both volume pots which is for true coil splitting of the pickups. I have a 2013 Trad Pro II in Vintage sunburst and it is an exceptional guitar - just perfect in every way and I use all the features it offers.

You need to know they made Trad Pros in 4 different versions now, with some minor differences in controls and pickups, and also some have 50's necks and others with 60's necks depending on color for that year.

Here's one of many demo's on YouTube for the TradPro models.

I can't wait, this one has the 50s neck which I'm cool with. And it's a gold top which I love. The black pick guard may have to grow on me though lol. I'm excited to mess with all the different combos it has to offer. I think this one is a 2013, 2014 maybe? Not sure yet. It should be in by tues or wed

Archived