Gibson Brands Forums

New here and new guitar

CJB

Boy Howdy CJB, your story so parallels mine it's incredible. I also live in Piedmont North Carolina and bought a shop-worn, seemingly abandoned J-35 a couple of weeks ago myself. I had been thinking about a Gibson a lot lately but the -45's I tried just didn't speak to me. The -35 just had everything and has joined my Martins and Larrivees for what looks to be a long stay.

Congrats on the new guitar! I've always had a soft spot for the J35's. If I didnt already have an AJ that shares the same bracing I'd probably have one. If you ever get a chance to strum an AJ you'll hear the similarities, just a longer scale neck and rosewood. Enjoy that guitar and play the heck out of it.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to J-35 fandom. Bought one myself last summer (was a J-45 owner for years) and I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a guitar as I was with the '35. And I've owned Martins, Larivees, a Bourgeois and even a couple of custom-built instruments. This guitar does many things well.

So now you'll have to post some YouTube clips of you actually playing the guitar. It's our way of initiating new members....

Welcome and a thoroughly sound choice in the J35! I like them a lot. I'd own one if they made 'em with a long scale neck, when it comes to six strings my galumphing great hands aren't best suited to short

Welcome and a thoroughly sound choice in the J35! I like them a lot. I'd own one if they made 'em with a long scale neck, when it comes to six strings my galumphing great hands aren't best suited to short scale.

Hey everyone, thanks again for the warm welcome! I've really fallen for this guitar over the past few weeks. Everything about it is just right - I can't say it's perfect because I know it'll only get better but for the first time I am content with the guitar I have.

Also thanks for the input about picks - that's a fun way to alter your sound.

NCTom, hope to see you around some day!

Regarding putting myself on video - probably not gonna happen very soon! I can play but it's not all that impressive! ;)

Welcome to the forum! I played a J35 at my guitar store just this morning. I also tried to convince my new guitar player friend to buy one of these before Christmas. Of the three he sampled, it was by far the superior guitar in my ears. He went with a Martin, but these J35's being built in Bozeman today are amazing instruments.

Archived