Gibson Brands Forums

Best years for the Gibson J-45?

KeThomas91

On 8/6/2019 at 3:55 AM, Murph said:

A good guitar doesn't know what year it is.

Those might possibly be amongst the wisest words ever offered up on a guitar forum.

Back when I lived in Austin I was on the hunt for a 1930's L-00. I can't recall the exact number but I managed to get my hands on at least a half dozen of them. It was a real eye opener as those guitars ran the gamut from wonderfully alive and amazingly resonant to completely lifeless and utterly disappointing.  Generally speaking I've found this to be true of a lot of vintage guitars that we tend to romanticize so much. Conversely I've played plenty of wonderful new guitars along with plenty that just did not do anything for me. In the end, i don't put as much stock in break-in as many do. I am not saying that there isn't some change. But my belief is that a great guitar sounds great from the beginning and only gets better. A disappointing guitar might improve some, but it will never be great. Lastly, we all have our own definition of what a great guitar is so your mileage might vary as the saying goes.