Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this? Hummy vintage

Mafy31

Hello, i'm surprised, had a look at Thomann gibsons when i saw that :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/gibson_hummingbird_vintage.htm?ref=search_rslt_hummingbird_382921_0

It is Hummingbird Vintage but the price is below a standard and rather low for this model [confused]

Is it the Vintage with torrefied top ? (not mentionned on the site). Serial is 2016 when looking at pics.

Could it be a returned guitar? or/and maybe it's not a flawless one and they want to get rid of it (read customers reviews).

Some years ago, Thomann sold AJ's way below the usual price of the market, I have seen some of those AJ's in hands, they had flaws here and there (neck angle, misaligned bridgepin holes, 3 layer rosewood bridge...)

Mine (formally belonging to ThemisSal) is for sale in Trading Post. Played, but condition is excellent--I'd say like new. No warranty of course, but still a great price.

Aaaaaaahhhh, , , , , so tempted to move.

Ahaaaaa, , , so you made your decision. If you feel like it, please tell what made destiny find its way. .

A fine chance for good Sal to get his stellar Bird back. (written before seeing the post above) ;-)

Could it be a returned guitar? or/and maybe it's not a flawless one and they want to get rid of it (read customers reviews).

Some years ago, Thomann sold AJ's way below the usual price of the market, I have seen some of those AJ's in hands, they had flaws here and there (neck angle, misaligned bridgepin holes, 3 layer rosewood bridge...)

I dont think it could be a returned guitar, there is policies about this, it would be like "refurbish" or "Thomann b-stock".

I think this relatively low price on the Vintage is a pure business decision on Thomann's part. My guess is that this model hasn't been selling well, and now they clear inventory.

By the way, apart from the obvious cosmetic differences, the tuners, and the cooked top, what structural differences are there between the Vintage and the Standard? I think I read somwhere that the Bird Vintage has the "advanced bracing", similar if not identical to the J-45 Vintage. If so, would this also be the same as the original Birds from the 60's?

Lars

[quote name='E-minor7' timestamp='1488932464' post='1839973']

[/size]

Ahaaaaa, , , so you made your decision. If you feel like it, please tell what made destiny find its way. .

So hard to decide..came down to $. My 2012 TV was bought new, with tax about a $100 more than the pre-owned Vintage. Taking a loss on the TV would bug me, so I'm selling the Vintage. If anyone wants to give me $2800 for the TV, I will keep the Vintage.

. [/font

[/size

. . [/font

[/size

[/b

[/font

[/size

Why are the most quotable so difficult to quote ( formatting each line)?

So hard to decide..came down to $. My 2012 TV was bought new, with tax about a $100 more than the pre-owned Vintage. Taking a loss on the TV would bug me, so I'm selling the Vintage. If anyone wants to give me $2800 for the TV, I will keep the Vintage.

Hilarious. . ( that you could go either way) . . But very interesting…

My unsolicited advice - A$$ to the past. Your P/L statement on a guitar that you already spent the money on - is not important. Keeping one or the other will not change the amount in your pocket really NOW.

Keep the one whose sound and playability you like more...

True enough, for most people, most of the time, but when it comes down to models that are so similar, it really is just nuance. As far as playability goes, the Vintage might actually get the nod, due to its rolled fingerboard edges.

My unsolicited advice - A$$ to the past. Your P/L statement on a guitar that you already spent the money on - is not important. Keeping one or the other will not change the amount in your pocket really NOW.

Keep the one whose sound and playability you like more...

They are both great. A little different, but I'd be perfectly happy keeping either one. Both are new to me and I'm not attached to either.

One has to go. You know what a great guitar it is. I expected it to be the easier of the 2 guitars to sell. If it does not sell fast, I may put both up for sale and let that decide.

Regardless best of luck,man. And let the forum know that Neil is a true gentleman and straight shooter.

Thanks Sal. It was a fun little adventure taking that spur of the moment drive north with the dog. Great bagels in your town!!!

Archived