Gibson Brands Forums

Meditation Rocks!

Digger

I think all forms of meditation can be beneficial. I learned TM almost 50 years ago, while in college, and regardless of how skewed that movement got, I know I really benefitted from learning it.

TM should not be used to induce sleep. In that case, I will repeat a word or short phrase in the back of my mind, and this usually does the trick. But, I almost never have problems sleeping.

WHO GOT YOU PEOPLE INTO THIS?!?! I mean, mom didn't teach you, or school...where you get learned about meditation and why'd you try it?

TM for me too.

It was 1972. I was 18.

The future looked alternately bright then confusing and scary, as it does when you are young. I was immature and insecure.

Gurus and esoteric Oriental religious practices were 'in'. Things were cosmic....or I thought so.

I believed I would become enlightened.

Perhaps I did, but not how I imagined.

TM for me too.

It was 1972. I was 18.

I believed I would become enlightened.

Perhaps I did, but not how I imagined.

That was a great time to be 18... a good time to experience enlightenment.

For me, I was probably ADD, but nobody know what that was back then. My mind raced and I had a hard time focusing. Facts and data were retained rote, and I had a hard time staying focused while reading, esp. stuff that didn't interest me, so my comprehension was poor. Almost as soon as I learned TM, my mind became more focused, and I was able to put my learning into a frame of reference and a context, so that things became interrelated. My grades in one semester and for the rest of my schooling went from 'C's to 'A's and 'B's. I became more confident in a competitive environment, and my approach to problem solving was more organized and centered.

There were a couple of other things that influenced my way of thinking back then, and that was a good time in my life for that to happen as my brain was still developing and maturing.

This sounds really hard. Like...anxiety inducing hard.

WHO GOT YOU PEOPLE INTO THIS?!?! I mean, mom didn't teach you, or school...where you get learned about meditation and why'd you try it?

The gelatine is empty capsules that I load turmeric into as turmeric is a powerful anti inflammatory that is part of how I control pain..

To answer your "why" question it was out of curiosity when I was 16 years old. Once I mastered it enough to be useful I've had a range of techniques at my disposal that have been incredibly useful all my life, sometimes even vital! Suggest if you are interested go to a good teacher and learn enough to successfully meditate. The self hypnosis is easy after you can do that. Up to you but I reject all the semi mystic crap associated with meditating as it has nothing to do with learning the techniques...at least in my case.

Just for the record, it must be 5 days now and my exercise is still helping me sleep and is still controlling the pain in my arthritic thumbs and back.

In my wildest dreams I wouldn't have expected this result!

OK further to the above, it's over 2 weeks since I started this experiment and it's still working!

I've added vertigo to my list and the constant giddiness that is present all the time seems to have mostly gone away, and I've been working on concentration too as painkillers mean I make lots of mistakes typing, and although not perfect yet, there is a distinct improvement.

Personally I'm finding these results to be bloody amazing and wonder where the limits are?

So to reiterate 10 minutes before I go to sleep of meditation and programming my mind have

1. Improved my sleep enormously.

2. Pain in hands and back that keep me awake, all but gone.

3. Improved vertigo so it's almost gone on a daily basis. (dunno about bad outbreaks yet as they are episodic)

4. Improved my concentration.

Now there is no bullsh!t in what I'm saying here, these are real results and nobody is more amazed than me.

Archived