Gibson Brands Forums

Jay Geils Article

RichG

This is a link to a nice tribute to Jay Geils. There are three videos imbedded. The middle one is an interview with him and has some reference and pictures of his collection at the time. Jay had a couple of rough years before he passed this week, but this is how I like to remember him. He was a good guy, a good friend and really knew his stuff about guitars and blues history. I know this is the acoustic thread, but there's a few Gibson guitars in his collection, albeit arch tops that are mostly electric. Two or three times I took him to see Toby Walker. Jay really enjoyed Toby's playing. He said it reminded him of our days hanging around Club 47 in 1964 when we should have been studying at dear old NU.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a54469/john-geils-obituary/

Rich

That's quite the guitar room he had there.

Seemed to be a nice guy, too.

There used to be more guitars in there. He started collecting horns a couple of years ago. He mentioned in that video that he restored an ES 250 but sold it when somebody offered him too much money for it. This is how I got the J-55 from him. He had the 1939 ES 250, the 1939 J-55 and a 1939 J-100. The all had the stair step headstock and they were the only models to have that and only in 1939. He had them displayed as a group. When the ES 250 went he sold the other two because he was never into collecting flat tops. He did have a nice D28 once but that didn't last long. I should have bought that one but it was a long time ago and I didn't know what I was looking at.

Jay was a very nice man. In some ways he didn't deserve what transpired in the last several years. But, water under the bridge. I choose to remember the good times.

Rich

Archived