Gibson Brands Forums

GC's "Guitar-A-Thon"

Cougar

I got GC's email about their "big sale." I know, it's just a marketing thing. I don't always bother clicking the link, but I thought I'd look and see what they had and for how much. The high-priced stuff was still high-priced. I don't know if those prices are reduced any. (Man, that SJ-200 is a good looking guitar, isn't it? I'm playing a Guild jumbo that cost used about 1/3 what they're asking for that brand new burst Gibbie "platinum" SJ. It'd take hitting the powerball at this point for me to pick up that $4,349 item though.)

So even though these are presumably "price reduced" items, these are now the prices from which you should be asking for a 10-20% discount, I would guess? I'm not really in the market. I don't see anything I "need." I'm rather astounded, though, that they have eight makes/models of guitars for under 100 bucks! What the heck, are these, like, disposable or something? rolleyes.gif And I noticed that (undoubtedly very cheap in all respects) Alvarez 12-string acoustic electric for $350 brand new. How bad could it be? OK, yeah, probably awful tuners, etc., etc... And no, I don't want one. I've got a great 12-string. Then I looked at the specs for this $350 12-string:

• Features: Solid A+ Western Red Cedar Top, Mahogany Back and Sides, High Gloss Finish
  • SYS250 3-Band EQ w/Tuner
  • FST2M - Forward Shifted Scalloped Bracing
  • Real Bone Nut and Saddle
  • Rosewood and Abalone Rosette

Jeez, I didn't figure the nut and saddle would be bone. Nor the top solid cedar! Still don't want one, but I'm certainly surprised....

I might shop there if they were having a going out of business sale. Otherwise, not so much. My latest experiences with them hasn't been very good. I got a good price on my guitar during their 15% off sale and made a couple of offers until we agreed on a price. The service afterwards was terrible and the setup was non-existent. Love the guitar and I'm pleased with the purchase but I don't take kindly to being lied to by their service tech.

My latest experiences with them hasn't been very good.

Oh, mine either! I took in four guitars for trade in, was looking to get me a nice Gibbie. Their offer was utterly ridiculous. I sold one of those guitars on reverb for more than GC offered on all four! While I was waiting, I tried a couple of the Gibsons they had out. Tried a few Martins, Taylors. I was generally not impressed. I mean, a Guild made in China that I tried seemed to have better tone! Don't know what the deal was, but I won't be getting a Gibbie from there!

Actually, it'll be a while for the Gibson since I picked up a killer jumbo F50R.

those are probably more meant to "Bring ya in the door" than anything else. for all the high end stuff, you sill need a check book or your Gear Card..

GC's to me, are sort of becoming more and more like the local mom & pop stores, with the only difference being an hour / to an hour + drive instead of 2 minutes away.

last few times I went to one, expecting to be able to walk in, buy something specific, and walk out, I left rather disappointed as each time, they had nothing of what I was looking for in stock.. "oh but we can order that for you!" yea, thanks, so can I, all by myself, I know how to use a web browser

So now, I just go to sweetwater, or amazon, here a click, there a click, everywhere a click-click,, -- 2 day free ship, -- done. an added bonus, no one refers to me as "Dude"....

GC's can go away at any time now, I just wouldn't care a lick.

those are probably more meant to "Bring ya in the door" than anything else. for all the high end stuff, you sill need a check book or your Gear Card..

GC's to me, are sort of becoming more and more like the local mom & pop stores, with the only difference being an hour / to an hour + drive instead of 2 minutes away.

last few times I went to one, expecting to be able to walk in, buy something specific, and walk out, I left rather disappointed as each time, they had nothing of what I was looking for in stock.. "oh but we can order that for you!" yea, thanks, so can I, all by myself, I know how to use a web browser

So now, I just go to sweetwater, or amazon, here a click, there a click, everywhere a click-click,, -- 2 day free ship, -- done. an added bonus, no one refers to me as "Dude"....

I hear ya, dude. [thumbup] Sorry, couldn't resist.

Couldn't agree more!! Seems the one here in Jersey only carries B stock guitars. Fenders are all MIMs and the Gibbys are lower end. Waste of time... Sweetwater is a reliable source for me. My only ***** of Sweetwater is they put Bit-O-Honey in the candy bag.

I was in the GC in Towson, MD and saw that they had some unadvertised deals that are not online. The 2017 SG Standards were on sale for $1039 and the green Les Paul Classic T for 2017 was on sale for $1499. Not bad deals on those.

Archived