Gibson Brands Forums

Back Seam

Bozz

I ran across a 2012 Southern Jumbo being advertised by a dealer which is noted as having "Mild lacquer dipping in back seam". It's an issue I'm not familiar with, but I presume it's a symptom of dryness and that the seam began to come apart at some point in time. But I'm not sure of that, or of how serious a problem it might be. Or if it's even a problem at all. I would think it would be more likely to split in the future. Would cleating it be a good idea? Or would it be safe as is if it's properly humidified going forward? The guitar seems otherwise in great condition. Thanks for any thoughts and input.

Lacquer sinking into the center seam would never be enough to throw me off of the trail of a guitar I was interested in- especially in the back center seam. After making sure the guitar is properly hydrated, and that there is nothing loose inside, it would be an easy enough cosmetic repair if you were ever so inclined. Full speed ahead/gas on.

The center back seam, which is the only back seam, is fully cleated to start with, so I wouldn't worry much about it, unless it is already showing signs of cracking. Not sure why it would exhibit this characteristic, however.

if theres a center strip of a different wood.. I have seen lots of guitar split at the glue joint.. it appears to be a Humid and dryness problem, I do have a few J200s with what you are concerned about.. thats just what I see on mine..

does the SJ have a thin Black strip? or is it butted Mohag?

does the SJ have a thin Black strip? or is it butted Mohag?

Some but not all SJ model backs have that thin dark centerstrip, which was characteristic of some early SJ models.

My '43 re-issue SJ has it. Can't tell if it's ebony or what, but when viewed under light at an angle, the lacquer definitely looks "sunk" over the dark strip.

That's probably the result of different expansion characteristics of the mahogany back vs the dark centerstrip, whatever wood that is. The dark centerstrip is only about 1/16" (1.5mm) wide, and is barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Some but not all SJ model backs have that thin dark centerstrip, which was characteristic of some early SJ models.

My '43 re-issue SJ has it. Can't tell if it's ebony or what, but when viewed under light at an angle, the lacquer definitely looks "sunk" over the dark strip.

That's probably the result of different expansion characteristics of the mahogany back vs the dark centerstrip, whatever wood that is. The dark centerstrip is only about 1/16" (1.5mm) wide, and is barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.

ya those strips are hard to see..

I can't tell from the pic's if it has the dark center strip. It looks like butted mahogany. But I have guitars in my house that I can barely see the center strip on. This one's a 2012 Sheryl Crow model.

I just went to have another look at the guitar online and it is now listed as sold. #%$@! I have been on the lookout for a nice Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo for months. Does anyone have an idea if this is a model that Gibson might do another limited run on anytime soon?

This has nothing to do with the wood or structure of the guitar. Gibson uses a nitro finish and it is buffed out to a very thin spec. As the guitar starts to age the volatiles in the lacquer "off gas" and the finish shrinks. This is what you are seeing in the sinking of the lacquer. Lots of folks see this in the headstock where the "ears" are attached. It's completely normal. The guitar will continue to age and some of the finish cracks are due to this process. Others are due to temp.and humidity changes.

Archived