Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200 Mini?

onewilyfool

In for your semi-annual post? Good to see you're still about; 'was expecting to see another dredged up 3 yr-old zombie thread like the one further down page.

Reverb does a good service in keeping sold listings still searchable- here are a few to give an idea on the $ involved in a mini super jumbo oxymoron : https://reverb.com/item/2415493-gibson-j-200-mini-75th-anniversary-2012-tobacco-burst-acoustic-guitar, and https://reverb.com/item/904763-rare-gibson-j-200-jr-junior-w-original-case-and-paperwork.

Brighter? Now, how could that be ; ) ?

I think the J-200 is the 17" version, The J-185 is the 16" version, and the J-200M and CJ-165 are the 15" version.

The CJ-165 can be had for less than the J-200M. It's less bling.

All the models have been made in the usual variations of tone woods. Mahogany, rosewood, maple, koa, ......

I've never considered a maple guitar bright. In maple, I've had a J200 and J180 and have a L5P, J185 and LC. The CJ165 I have is RW.

Good luck with the search!

Imho, maple guitars can cover a wide range from bright to dark - and I mean from one example to the next, let alone among different models. This has been discussed at length in earlier threads, and those offered a lot of really good observations and thoughts. About the only thing I have to contribute right now is that I've come to believe that this may be the most consistent era for sound of specific models in Gibson history☺

OWF ! Hey ! Good to hear from you !!

I've SEEN one - in a display case at Sam Ash a couple of years ago. All blinged out. As I recall - it was a bit more than the price of a full sized one.

It seemed clearly that it would be a comfortable guitar to play. The 17" bouts on the SuperJumbos do seem to get to your right arm/shoulder orientation when seated. This one - looks like a parlor guitar.

As far as 'bright'.... maybe your friend's had a new set of strings!?

My experience is that they are 'deep'. Not actually booming or bright. More like a Steinway Grand Concert piano than an upright, honky-tonk piano.

If I weren't 'in love' with my SJ200 - I'd be after something smaller like that one.

As far as pricing used... I don't know. But I'd guess they'd be around the same as a regular Super Jumbo. Smaller version probably doesn't translate to a smaller price.

Hope you find one you like.

Let us know!

Nice to know you're still out there, Wiley.

Broad generalizations about tone are made to be broken, but it does seem that quite often when compared to rosewood & mahogany, it's a more difficult task for a smaller-bodied maple guitar to provide a deep & resonant bass sound.

However, when you do find one that enters into a certain realm, it's probably my favorite sound of all.

Hey Wily!! Great to see another forum oldschooler around!

The best small J200alike I've played is the Emmylou Harris L200-the original one, not the later one based on the CJ165 (although those are fine too). The original L200 isn't bright as such, but deep and broad and caramel-ish with a chiming, gorgeous top end.

The J200Jr, basically a long scale J185 with extra bling, is sensational too. Beautiful guitar!

Archived