Gibson Brands Forums

Mediums on a SJ200

jw3571

Just picked up a SJ200 Vine edition, i'm considering putting mediums on the guitar to give it a little more oomph. I'm worried it may choke the sound a bit, what are people's opinions on mediums on a SJ200?

Won't hurt to try them. Mediums can have a choking effect on some instruments.......did on a Hummingbird standard I had a few years back but not so on a Hummingbird Vintage I recently moved. And the 200, in addition to being called the King of the Flattops, is also known as a gentle giant and they are often not particularly loud guitars no matter what you do.......which in my book makes them excellent strummers.

Give 'em a try and see what happens.......

I ran mediums on my old SJ200 for a while but I didn't like the feel or the massive leverage that the long scale and heavy strings put on such a wide expanse of top.

I quite like Cleartone Bluegrass gauge (12-56) on my '41 Reissue SJ100 but I tend to stick to good ol' Martin 80/20 12-54s which have as much ooomph as any 12s.

It's very specific to individual instruments but (personally speaking) I've never found Mediums particularly improve the sound of and SJ I've owned. I've played 'em for many years and currently have the SJ100 and a '16 SJ200 Standard, both of which sit happily with 12s.

Finally! Someone finally asked the one question that I know something about, well, at least on my J-200.

Mediums are definately the way to go. Lights seem way to thin on that big ol' top. I believe it improves tone and volume as well. They are a little tougher on the fingers, but seems a small price to pay

I wouldn't have anything but mediums on my J-200.

I use Martin Lifespan lights on my slopes. When I got my 200 I thaught the same thing about oomph,so I gave the mediums a try. I didn't notice much difference in tone or volume so I just use the lights. Don't be afraid to give them a try and see how you like them, it is a cheap and easy experiment.

I use Martin Lifespan lights on my slopes. When I got my 200 I thaught the same thing about oomph,so I gave the mediums a try. I didn't notice much difference in tone or volume so I just use the lights. Don't be afraid to give them a try and see how you like them, it is a cheap and easy experiment.

Lifespans are great, aren't they? Love those wires!

I put Elixir HD Lights on my SJ200 Golden Age. It gives me a fuller sound on the top end as the .12's just sound thin. The HD Light set was developed by Elixir in collaboration with Taylor's Andy Powers. He wanted to create a custom string set that would bring a bolder, stronger high end and fuller, warmer low end.

The set is basically the three high strings from a medium set and the three low strings from a light set. So, from high to low:

0.13, 0.17, 0.25, 0.32, 0.42 and 0.53.

Elixir HD Light Review

Just picked up a SJ200 Vine edition....

Major congrats are in order! Man, you guys with your SJ200's... big time jealous here. I'm getting by with my Guild F50R, which is no slouch, I must say!

Archived