Gibson Brands Forums

Going to an interesting gig next week

Rabs

Yes, so a good friend of mine has a spare ticket for a night at the Proms at the Albert Hall...

I like classical music and the Indian style too.. Sitars are cool. And probably not the usual sort of thing I would go too but hey it may be cool.

Its a performance of compositions from Ravi Shankar and Phillip Glass called Passages... Should be interesting.

I must make sure I eat well before we go though as when I listen to the Indian parts it just makes me hungry and expect some Chicken Tikka to be served :P ;)

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/proms/proms-2017/prom-41-philip-glass-and-ravi-shankar/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYaJqrDpmAE&t=308s

Just watched one of the best 'belly-full of telly' evenings in living memory.....

Starting with a prom....Oklahoma....Rodgers and Hammersteins' first musical from 1943.....expected to be bored after about 30mins but ended up enthralled by 2 hours of timeless songs, humour, fantastic singing and dancing.....

Left the telly on to take in the 'Glen Campbell' retrospective documentary

Followed by the most unbelievable London concert from 1977 with Glen in fine voice and guitar.....assisted by his long time collaborator Jimmy Webb.....

Very rarely IMO is there anything even half decent to watch on TV......

V

:-({|=

Went... And it was very good..

One of the things that struck me the most was how good the sound was and how reasonable the sound volume was... Even the smallest of open mic nights these days seems way too loud..

Anyway... Was a nice experience and the sitar ROCKS :) We saw Ravi Shankars daughter Anoushka Shankar play sitar and it was as you would expect...

Heres a couple of pics

The Royal Albert Hall

JgR5CvP.jpg

50mE6XG.jpg

Taking a bow at the end....

74KEjUU.jpg

Damn... I want to go to a Proms gig too now.

Wonderful pix Rabs!

Yeah it was cool.. They do show them on BBC4, actually I think the performance I went to is on right now (started at 9). Also, unlike most gigs these days the tickets where cheap too.. Only £15.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091gmbb

London is generally a pain these days, but getting to do to stuff like makes me appreciate it again from time to time :)

What's a "proms gig"? [unsure]

Signed, Dumb Yank

The Proms, more formally known as the BBC Proms or Henry Wood Promenade Concerts presented by the BBC, is an eight-week summer season of daily orchestral classical music concerts and other events held annually, predominantly in the Royal Albert Hall in central London, England, UK. Founded in 1895, each season currently consists of more than 70 concerts in Albert Hall, chamber music concerts at Cadogan Hall, additional Proms in the Park events across the UK on the Proms' final night, The Last Night of the Proms, and associated educational and children's events. In 2009 the total number of concerts reached 100. The season is a significant event in British culture. In classical music, Jiří Bělohlávek described the Proms as "the world's largest and most democratic musical festival".[1]

Prom is short for promenade concert, a term which originally referred to outdoor concerts in London's pleasure gardens, where the audience was free to stroll around while the orchestra was playing. In fact this tradition has been revived in parks and stately homes around the UK at promenade concerts such as the Battle Proms. In the context of the BBC Proms, promming refers to the use of the standing areas inside the hall (the arena and gallery) for which ticket prices are much lower than for the reserved seating. Single-concert standing tickets for either the arena or gallery can be bought only on the day of the concert, which can give rise to long queues for well-known artists or works. Proms concert-goers, particularly those who stand, are sometimes referred to as "prommers" or "promenaders". Prommers can buy full-season tickets instead for guaranteed entry to every concert in the season (until 20 minutes before the concert is due to start), although not the assurance of a particular standing position. Some prommers are particularly keen in their attendance

Archived