Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best Gibson for soulful blues?

theflyingturtle

My answer to the original question is, "Whatever Gibson feels best in your hands, plays easily, sounds pleasing, and which stays in tune."

You may find all those criteria are met in an ES-335 that was built on a Wednesday, and I may find my dream blues guitar in an SG that was built on a Friday.

That said, the very best Gibson for soulful blues is probably a non-weight-relieved Gibson Les Paul.

The thing is so heavy that it will cause back and shoulder pain (and therefore emotional distress) within 20 minutes of playing it, and everybody knows that you play your best blues when you are in physical pain and emotional agony.

I hope this helps.

:)

Hahahahaha! That's awesome. Put some rocks in your shoes as well.

Am I the only one wondering if there is an un-soulful blues? [biggrin]

As to the OP, clearly one can get a good blues sound out of any guitar. My inclination is that the hollow-bodies do offer something special though. I need to acquire one of those.

Okay I had a feeling this would happen. What I mean what Gibson electric has the most soulful tone to YOUR ears. If you were going to a blues jam and you could play any electric Gibson model, what would you take?

I would choose a ES 330 so as to get that hollow body P90 feel.

Archived