Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Knobs

Warren Brown

Hi All,

I decided to change the knobs on my VM Studio from the black speed knobs to gold. Some of the folks on the VM Owners' Forum changed their VM's to creme trim so I thought I'd try it on mine because I liked the look. Anyway, when I put the gold knob on mine, it didn't go down on the shaft as far as far as the black one. There's about 1/4" gap between the knob and the guitar body which makes it looks funny. I looked at the inside of the knob and it's not made the same as the black one. Do they make two different types of knobs or are the pot shafts longer on the studios or what?

Thanks!

Were they Gibson knobs or "generic"? Most generic (eg Epiphone) knobs are metric and not interchangeable with Gibson.

Yeah' date=' they are genuine Gibsons. They fit the shaft just fine but they don't go down as far as the black ones that came on the guitar. The part of the knob that goes over the shaft is recessed on the black ones whereas they are flush with bottom of the knob on the gold ones. If you scroll down a little over half way here to the one with the wrap around bridge you'll see how they fit. That's not my guitar but it's the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem

Wanted to change the knobs from Black to Gold on my Les Paul Studio, bought Gibson replacement Gold Knobs

found they just do not fit

Although the hole size is ok, and they plug straight onto the pot ok, they are missing the recess in the underside, so that They do not push down over the nut of the pot like the BLack ones, so that when fitted the Gold knobs are about 1/4 inch higher, and look a bit daft.

This is my rough not to scale drawing to show the problem

problem.jpg

The shape of the replacement Gold knobs are totally diffenet on the underside. which means that they cannot sit down over the top of the pot nut in a similar way to the original black ones.

Steven

You could try using a large drill bit to shorten the cavity on the knob. It would have to be larger than the outside. Just make sure that the hole is deep enough to allow the knob to fit lower before cutting.

• 1 month later...

Hi Warren or Steven,

Were you ever able to resolve this problem? I spoke to a person at Gibson and he said that they have different vendors that supply the knobs and that is one of the differences. I want to buy a replacement set with the recessed centerpiece, but can't seem to find a set. I also spoke to someone at allparts and they opened a set out of the bin and the center piece was not recessed.

Thanks for your help.

-Steve

Yes, but it's not the height of the pot shaft that's causing the problems - as I've already tried that. It's due to the centerpiece sleeve of the knob itself bottoming out on the retaining nut on the pot. The only workaround I can see is grinding down or drilling out the centerpiece or finding replacements where the centerpiece is recessed like the originals. I have looked around at several LP's in stores over the past week and the heights do vary, but mine now look like a monster truck all jacked up.

Ah, ok i understand now. yup, different knobs or modify the ones you have..... they don't cost a lot so you can just walk into any guitar shop and buy some different ones that are recessed and keep the non recessed ones for another guitar.

I would just leave the originals on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry to leave it so long for a reply, steven2112 thats exactly it, its not the poy in th eguitar, or the knut or the shaft thats the issue, its purely that the so called 'Replacement Parts' just do not fit.

And the problem is, that when you buy them there sealed in the packet on a card board back, so you don't know if there going to fit or not untill you ruin the packaging getting one out.

I feel slightly agreived that I bought mine on Ebay, and when i spoke to the vendor he quite rightly pointed out, that they are proper genuine Gibson parts, and it does say on the packet, for all LP's.. so he said take it up with Gibson.

I emailed Gibson, asking for an exchange, since there parts obviously did not fit the guitar they sell them for

Heard Nothing..

Quite surprised that noone from Gibson even bothered to get in touch with me through this forum post, since its obviously a problem with their product.

Or

Why didn't someone from Gibson suggest a part number that will actually fit, its a bit of a daft situation.

Its ok to suggest, get a great big drill and just drill a little off the centre post on the inside of the Knob, what about fingers? have you ever tried holding a 1/2 inch high piece of smooth round plastic while you try to drill 1/4 inch off a stub on the inside with a drill that has to be over 1/2 inch thick, and that would also need a flat fase on the end, because a normal 1/2 inch drill would spike through the knob top surface or ruin the inside before you would have cut off enough of the stalk to make it fit

The point really is, that currently Gibson are selling replacement Genuine Parts that just do not do what it says on the label.

Maybe someone from Gibson can comment on this?

Steven Dowd

For what it's worth, the Stew Mac speed knobs (the amber ones I have, anyway) do not have a recessed center. So the knob doesn't sit down inside the blood-testers. If you grind off the middle, you might need to touch up the paint.

For what it's worth' date=' the Stew Mac speed knobs (the amber ones I have, anyway) do not have a recessed center. So the knob doesn't sit down inside the blood-testers. If you grind off the middle, you might need to touch up the paint.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip! I was just getting ready to order those exact knobs from them, just to see if maybe they were different. Guess I can save my money.

Archived