Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian prices...

Tim Plains

I sold my Highway 1 Tele last night. I had it on craigslist & kijiji.

Of the many (and I mean many) people that emailed me about it, I've struck up a lengthy email conversation with one guy who has a bunch of Fender guitars. This guy deals with one store in north Toronto and according to his source at that music store, Canadian prices are going up again across the board again on March 1, 2009.

If this is true...when will it end? Come on now. I think prices right now are way too high.

Give or take...

R8 - $3,800

R9 - $5,800

LP Standard - $2,800

The American Standard Strat I bought new in October for $970 is now $1,550

'52 Vintage Reissue Tele - $2,000

'52 Hot Rod Tele - $2,350

etc

When will it end and at what point is enough enough?

Surely, there's going to be a point where people will just stop buying new guitars.

i think that at this point, buying a new guitar is pretty dumb- excluding things like must-have limited runs (which may or may not be worth it) or NOS blowouts.

why pay $2500 for a new standard when you can by a 90s one for $1400 and replace the pickups- esp given that 90s LPs are generally considered "better."

buying a new Historic is even more retarded. i would buy a used R8 in players condition for 2000-2200 before considering a new one at 3800.

I hope they don't the same in the US. The Feb. 1 increase is starting to creep in now. A Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster is going for $1759.99 at Sweetwater, while GC still has it listed at $1,349.99. The MSRP prices went up about 20%, while retail looks like it's going to go up about 30%, assuming everyone goes to the Sweetwater prices which will probably happen soon...

You'll like this one Tim. I was at L&M here last week and all of their guitars have been priced at the new prices. Even 2 year old Gibsons. For example, they had 2 year old faded SGs that were $815 (all prices canadian) 3 months ago, priced at $1159. It was THE SAME GUITAR!!! They also had a Ltd. Edition Mapleburst that was $3250 a few weeks ago, marked at $3950. I guess they must have received a new shipment. :-

When I asked the guy about all their old guitars having new prices, he said it was so people interested in ordering a new one would know what the current price is, but "of course we would sell the one on the wall at the old price". I almost peed my pants when I heard that one.

Are Nine, I assume those prices are in Canadian dollars? And are they the list price or the price you can expect to pay and walk out the door with a new guitar? The price of Gibsons went up here in Australia on 1 Feb. I haven't checked out if Fenders have gone up as well, but given our dollar keeps diving against the greenback...........

Last fall, when I bought the Mapleburst, a regular R8 at Lauzon Music was $3059 (all prices canadian). The sticker price on the MB was $3199. When the prices went up in the spring, I think their new price on a regular one was $3599.

I was in there earlier this week, and the R8s that were there last fall are still $3059.

Wow....

I'm in the U.S.A., but am wondering about the ES-339's. To me, they are too cheap anyhow, considering the 335 prices, but I'm thinking about a few more. Just because I really like them.

Best of luck to all up there.

I think it's going to get kind of bumpy, before it gets smooth.

You can not have thousands of people stealing billions of dollars without upsetting the apple cart.

Just sayin'.

Murph.

It is either Long & McQuade nitwits doing this (probably) or Yorkville Music, Gibson's distributor. My guess is L&M, as they pulled precisely the same nonsense on me a while back when I was shopping for some other music gear. Even though they had the very item in stock when the buck was in the upper 90-cent range, when the buck dropped to low 80s, they claimed the "dollar has dropped" argument as the reason for the price increases. They make it very easy to want to shop elsewhere.

It certainly is interesting that prices seem to be rising rapidly here and if you check Guitar Center's website almost all Gibson Custom's sport a "Price Drop" banner. I don't think it can all be blamed on the weakened loonie. We'll have to wait and see what happens in 18 - 24 months once the greenback has cratered and oil is back to $80.

Archived