Gibson Brands Forums

Date a Martin 00015

blindboygrunt

1515134375[/url]' post='1906287']

Anyone know any way to date my Martin guitar without ripping the pickup battery pack that's glued to the neck block ?

It has dot inlays rather than diamond shoes ones

Came with Martin tuners and not the open backed ones

My guess is it also has a gold decal rosette right? And it is likely genuine mahogany throughout...

So I suspect immediately it's pre 2010. In 2010 they started with the white rosette, open back tuners, and they were called 000-15m. In 2011 SAPELE started being used in place of what we all perceived as genuine mahogany, followed by SIPO. If you have either of those two woods, it would look striped or streaky. My guess is you have the genuinely more desirable "regular mahogany."

I’m saying 2003-2009.

My guess is it also has a gold decal rosette right? And it is likely genuine mahogany throughout...

So I suspect immediately it's pre 2010. In 2010 they started with the white rosette, open back tuners, and they were called 000-15m. In 2011 SAPELE started being used in place of what we all perceived as genuine mahogany, followed by SIPO. If you have either of those two woods, it would look striped or streaky. My guess is you have the genuinely more desirable "regular mahogany."

I’m saying 2003-2009.

The 000-15M came in with 1 3/4” nut and new shape necks - older had 1 11/16” nut and C neck.

BluesKing777.

Negative BK.

Sorry to disagree. The new D18, new D28, new 000-18... yes. New necks. 1 3/4 MLO with performing artist taper.

Not on any of the 15 series. Only if you ordered the customs through Ted at LA Guitar.

I have a newer designed D15M, and at one time also owned a 00-15m and a 0000-15m.... all 11/16 neck, same as it ever was.

And Grunt... as far as your picture... I'm going to say 2009.

Old style gold decal rosette. AND Sapele.... chronology goes something like this for the 15 series.

Early 2000s: "genuine mahogany" , old style tuners, old style rosette gold leaf decal.

Late 2000s: same as early, except Sapele started making its way into the banks and sides. You would see examples of both woods in the same year.

2010: redesign "m"... back to "genuine mahogany". White thread rosette. Open back tuners.

Later 2010s: Sapele and Sipo start becoming the standard back sides and top woods instead of "genuine mahogany".

2015 with Sapele:

PqROWpxl.png

early 200s with "genuine mahogany":

to0lqOvl.png?1

And that's the consensus... does not affect value. Tonally the same as "genuine".

I remember, before my 2010 D15m... I had a 2001 D15. This was before guitar forums and such (at least for me). I got the side "key crack", and my wife put a nice top crack on it as well in a household accident. I didnt fix it by taking it to a luthier... I put stickers on it and made it my beach house guitar. It sounded fantastic - even with the stickers.

I sold it to a guy who was going to take the stickers off and fix the cracks himself. I STILL sold it for $550 - as opposed to $750 - what I'd get selling a modern D15m used.

Not proud of this:

HkwNN0eh.jpg

Who glued the battery pack to where the serial number is? Martin? Aftermarket? I don't think Martin would glue the battery pack to the inside block, that is also where the hole is to adjust the TR.

Aftermarket

Where else would you glue a battery pack ?

Any I’ve ever seen are always same place ... as in - there

When I read the thread title, I fully expected to read a post from Murph saying he could never date a Martin, as he would make his Gibsons jealous (rimshot)

My wife qualifies as either "sharpshooter" or "expert" every year.

I would never date a Martin.

However, before we met I woke up with a Martian once.

Archived