Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody know what makes the Byrdland so expensive?

Bluezboy

Probably sounds stupid to you but i'm stumped. Do they not make that many? What's going on even the Epi version is over 2k.....and it doesn't even come with the option of a flourentine cutaway.

Somebody please help....and try to be nice i know this sounds like a newbie question

Back in the day, whatever that means, these were hand built guitars. Supposedly each one took a month to build. I'm sure CNC machinery has entered into the production picture for things like the neck and hardware routing, but many aspects of a carved archtop still must be done by hand, and the time involved is still very long. There is very little similarity to building an archtop and building a solid body, it's a completely different process, and a completely different guitar. Even the process to make the top and back of a laminated ES or archtop is different than that of a "carved" top. The design and engineering principles form which an archtop is built are also much more complicated than a solid body.

To put it in the simplest terms, think of an archtop guitar as a giant violin, and a solid bodied guitar as a 2x12 with strings. Even Les Paul called the first solid body guitar he built "The Log".

If your interested I'd be glad to go into more detail. Once I get started on this subject it's hard for me to stop.......

Back in the day' date=' whatever that means, these were hand built guitars. Supposedly each one took a month to build. I'm sure CNC machinery has entered into the production picture for things like the neck and hardware routing, but many aspects of a carved archtop still must be done by hand, and the time involved is still very long. There is very little similarity to building an archtop and building a solid body, it's a completely different process, and a completely different guitar. Even the process to make the top and back of a laminated ES or archtop is different than that of a "carved" top. The design and engineering principles form which an archtop is built are also much more complicated than a solid body.

To put it in the simplest terms, think of an archtop guitar as a giant violin, and a solid bodied guitar as a 2x12 with strings. Even Les Paul called the first solid body guitar he built "The Log".

If your interested I'd be glad to go into more detail. Once I get started on this subject it's hard for me to stop.......[/quote']

Plz go on i like to learn about guitars.

Very low production, very choice woods, very complex design with a lot of detail. Absolutely gorgeous, expensive since the first one was ever built. This ain't your basic Telecaster. Closest I ever came was a '58 ES350T, the less ornate maple top version.....look, don't get me thinking about Byrdlands buddy, or I'll buy another bleedin' guitar! =D>

That is interesting.

But if they're so expensive' date=' how can companies like Godin make carved archtops for so cheap?

And I had no idea Epiphone made their own version.[/quote']

The Godin 5th Avenue and Kingpin have laminated, pressed tops. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but a carved, soild top is inherently more costly. The maker must start with a fairly thick piece of wood (usually top quality spruce), and painstakingly carve away different amounts from both sides of the top in order to produce the arch shape. Since each piece of wood is different, additional hand shaping takes place to "tune" each one for the best sound. Then, braces have to be handcut and matched to that individual shape, which varies slightly with each instrument.

A pressed top is usally made from sheets of wood which are laminated (glued) together, and then put into a form which presses the arch into it. The resulting tops are manufactured relatively quickly by comparison (so they're cheaper), are uniform in shape (so less hand shaping and fitting is required in later manufacturing steps (which is also cheaper), and are uniform in thickness (which produces a different tone). A laminated top will also be less acoustically alive than a solid top (though that may be an advantage on a electic instrument, like an ES 335 or ES5, when you want to control feedback).

The Epiphone version was from the now-defunct Elitist line. It was made in Japan by skilled luthiers in the factory that builds other Elitist hollow and semi-hollow body guitars, as well as some Gretsch and other fairly high-end guitars. It was made with very high quality woods and workmanship, and provided players with a very solid, relatively affordable alternative to the even more upscale made in the USA Gibson.

Red 333

Red 333

That is interesting.

But if they're so expensive' date=' how can companies like Godin make carved archtops for so cheap?

And I had no idea Epiphone made their own version.[/quote']

Eastman make fine carved top guitars and keep the cost down by building in China.

The other better known Gibson carved tops are:

. the L5

. the Super 400

. the Johnny Smith/Super V

. the L4

For some reason, L4s are a lot cheaper than the others.

Eastman make fine carved top guitars and keep the cost down by building in China.

The other better known Gibson carved tops are:

. the L5

. the Super 400

. the Johnny Smith/Super V

. the L4

For some reason' date=' L4s are a lot cheaper than the others.

[/quote']

I've been looking at the Eastman T186, it's version of the 335. I like the idea of a carved top. The Armstrong Humbuckers are nice too.

At first I didnt like the look (f-holes and everything) but after playing a couple they've grown on me. I really like the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin (the version with the pickup). I'm actually pretty certain my next purchase will be a Godin, probable a Seagull 12 string (beautifull guitars, the Godins)

Sorry, another 'back in the day' reply! I once had a '67 Byrdland. GORGEOUS guitar! On the down-side, I could never get comfortable with its 23-1/2" scale and this ones' thin neck! I don,t have huge hands, but I do like a little more board under my fingers...HUUUuuuuge Sound, however...and I see that Nuge has done QUITE well with them...RRod

• 2 weeks later...

Two things make the Gibson Byrdland expensive. (1)Made in America using (2) Old world craftmanship. Cheaper guitars can be made like some Epiphones in Indonesia(cheap labor), and the use of laminates instead of carved wood. Also cheaper electronics make for a lower price. All Gibsons are made in the USA.

Very interesting topic and information-packed replies. I'll add another tidbit that is obvious to most and in part already mentioned. And that is the production numbers in relation to many other models are quite low as well. The Supply side ratio being low creates a built-in price premium as well. Personally I love these guitars as players, as well as everything they stand for in terms of craftsmanship and beauty.

Archived