Gibson Brands Forums

$9000.00 Pickup set for 59-60 Gibson

SG_Mike

Those are the pickups that just about every pickup maker around now is trying to duplicate. Along with the fact that those same pickups that were used by guys like Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Paul Kossof, Mike Bloomfield, Joe Perry, Slash, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck etc..

those same pickups that were used by guys like Jimmy Page' date=' Billy Gibbons, Paul Kossof, Mike Bloomfield, Joe Perry, Slash, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck etc..[/quote']

Not those pickups tho. What if the pickups were actually played by Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Paul Kossof, Mike Bloomfield, Joe Perry, Slash, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck.

Those would bring more than 9k thats for sure.

considering a mint '59 original LP can fetch $250K' date=' $9K for original PAF pickups doesn't seem that out of line...

although double white is kinda lame imo.... i bet zebra or double black or covered even would fetch even way more...

[/quote']

i think you got that backwards. double white brings the most. zebra is next, and double black is the cheapest. this is of course based on a mixture of rarity, and which one people think is the coolest.

having intact original covers brings the price up too. (it's possible to not remove the covers and still know what color the bobbins are). so, the most expensive would be double whites with original intact covers.

i don't see why it's so hard to replicate them??? just F U C King make the pickup the same way the did in th 50s. use the same materials same bobbins and s h i t, and rap the wire around it by hand about 5000 times! is that really so hard to replicate? i mean it would take a while to rap the wire around by hand, but still, if they sound so d-amn good it would be fine. it really seems like just anyone who knows how to make pickups could do it very easily.

i don't see why it's so hard to replicate them??? just F U C King make the pickup the same way the did in th 50s. use the same materials same bobbins and s h i t' date=' and rap the wire around it by hand about 5000 times! is that really so hard to replicate? i mean it would take a while to rap the wire around by hand, but still, if they sound so d-amn good it would be fine. it really seems like just anyone who knows how to make pickups could do it very easily.

[/quote']

dude the mods are gona get u now.

why?

cause i used profain language? that would be retarted. it doesn't matter if little kids see "bad words" (oh no). i saw little 8 year old today who was swearing like a sailor. they're just words and i wasn't using them to offend some one. i can understand getting in trouble if you use language like that directed at some one else in a harmful manner. but when you're just talking that way why should it matter?

they are just words! and words wont hurt you if you don't let them.

also i don't think the mods are out to get us or anything. i am not scared of them and i don't think they want me to be.

why?

cause i used profain language? that would be retarted. it doesn't matter if little kids see "bad words" (oh no). i saw little 8 year old today who was swearing like a sailor. they're just words and i wasn't using them to offend some one. i can understand getting in trouble if you use language like that directed at some one else in a harmful manner. but when you're just talking that way why should it matter?

they are just words! and words wont hurt you if you don't let them.

also i don't think the mods are out to get us or anything. i am not scared of them and i don't think they want me to be.

Nikko i tried but it doesnt work u cant fight it...

i don't see why it's so hard to replicate them??? just F U C King make the pickup the same way the did in th 50s. use the same materials same bobbins and s h i t' date=' and rap the wire around it by hand about 5000 times! is that really so hard to replicate? i mean it would take a while to rap the wire around by hand, but still, if they sound so d-amn good it would be fine. it really seems like just anyone who knows how to make pickups could do it very easily.

[/quote']

it's a bit more complicated that.

i don't see why it's so hard to replicate them???

I'm pretty confident that a good number of vintage pickups have been replicated. The issue is that the old pickups weren't built at consistently as they are today and some have aged differently than others. So, when you have what is a moving target, there really is no standard as to what an original set of PAFs sound like.

I'm sure when Gibson designed the 57 Classic and the various Burstbuckers, they took several examples which all sounded a bit different from one another, picked one set (or a combination) as the standard model and then took their best shot at replicating them. It make sense - if there was one single PAF sound, they would have made one new model replicated from that, called it a day and nobody here would be discussing which Gibson pups sound the most like original PAFs - none of them do and all of them do.

IMO, original PAFs and vintage guitars are for collectors. For me, I'll pick a new product that simply performs the way I want it to, whether it's some sort of reissue or not.

Archived