Gibson Brands Forums

The Ebow

stevezapp

Would that be how Gary Moore held that note on the live Parisienne Walkways?

Not familiar with that but, from the little I know about Gary Moore, he probably used sheer volume.

I found the Ebow to be really something that have to devote some time to to get a technique down, more so than I was willing to devote to it to get a bowed effect. Never tried the Fernandez stuff but, being a fan of Type O Negative and knowing that their guitar player uses it, I'd be much more open to something that does the big sustain thing without having to develop an additional playing style which the Fernandez tech does not.

I bought one about a year ago, and have found it to be quite entertaining, if not ultra useful for the stage.

You can get a wide variety of sounds with it, and I found it to be fairly easy to use, once you understand how it works, and where to place it on the string. I got the one that also generates harmonics, and that's a whole different thing than the older ones.

To tell ya the truth, the endless sustain thing is not what I would consider to be the real selling point, it's more of the bowing effects, and the swell effects.

I'd recommend trying one out in the store before you buy though. It's just a pricey toy, if you can't get the hang of it. It takes some finesse to get the cooler sounds, and if you are heavy handed, it just won't work right for you.

Not familiar with that but' date=' from the little I know about Gary Moore, he probably used sheer volume.

I found the Ebow to be really something that have to devote some time to to get a technique down, more so than I was willing to devote to it to get a bowed effect. Never tried the Fernandez stuff but, being a fan of Type O Negative and knowing that their guitar player uses it, I'd be much more open to something that does the big sustain thing without having to develop an additional playing style which the Fernandez tech does not.

[/quote']

Off topic, but I've always wondered how Kenny Hickey got that endless sustain. I figured it was just something they did in the studio, until I saw Symphony for the Devil and heard him do it live. I think Pete Steele uses it on his bass too.

I've listened to a number of songs done with the Ebow and I can understand why it would have had a niche in the late '70s and early '80s when it added synthesizer sounds to a guitar. Today it's not very compelling because the keyboards have advanced so much that there's really no point in making sounds like that with a guitar. Well, maybe that's too harsh, but I think it's fair to say that the sound you get using an Ebow are somewhat dated sounding, and may only have application in some kinds of "atmospheric" music.

I have one and its pretty good fun. Having said that its a huge amount of money for something that will only get very occasional use (I've only used mine for one song live). Considering its basically only an electromagnet and battery the manufacturers must be making an absolute fortune on these things.

Archived