Gibson Brands Forums

Mixer vs Digital Interface

uncle fester

Hi Folks,

I'm starting to set up and play out a bit... (outside by my picnic table - venturing to the occasional cookout). To do that, I've been using a digital interface (presonus) - which I have for hack recording, but also found it works for me for doing small scale live performances.

What I've been told though is you should use a mixer instead of the digital interface - but I haven't gotten an explanation why. I'm trying to understand if it's worth investing in a mixer, Can anyone explain why one is better than the other for live performances?

Thanks for any input, and Happy Easter to all!

rgds - billroy

There are many blurry lines these days, for ex, my Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer has 4 mic or guitar type input channels with beautiful preamps, but also 2 extra channels for music playback from a stereo or iPod or a keyboard. It also has a whole lot of handy effects built in, reverb delay, chorus. AND the mixer has USB direct out for running into a computer for recording - every track I have posted recently has been recorded to my iMac by this USB. And all kinds of xlr or 1/4” plugs to go out to speakers etc. also foldback, headphone plugs.....

Of the 4 input channels, 2 are normal and 2 are Hi Z for plugging your guitar lead direct!

Years ago, you got a mixer and got 4 inputs and that was about it.

Now, phew!

Now if you are going solo, an acoustic amp will do you. Duo, an amp each or mixer plus powered speakers. And on to the bottomless pit.....

BluesKing777.

There are many blurry lines these days, for ex, my Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer has 4 mic or guitar type input channels with beautiful preamps, but also 2 extra channels for music playback from a stereo or iPod or a keyboard. It also has a whole lot of handy effects built in, reverb delay, chorus. AND the mixer has USB direct out for running into a computer for recording - every track I have posted recently has been recorded to my iMac by this USB. And all kinds of xlr or 1/4” plugs to go out to speakers etc. also foldback, headphone plugs.....

Of the 4 input channels, 2 are normal and 2 are Hi Z for plugging your guitar lead direct!

BluesKing777.

Is that a ZED-10, or what?

A&H make nice stuff, and the value looks pretty exceptional.

Is that a ZED-10, or what?

A&H make nice stuff, and the value looks pretty exceptional.

Oh no, it is a much more boffin named A&H Zed60-10FX.... [biggrin]

Sounds need double checking though before, for example, running a guitar pickup direct to the Hi Z often sounds great but in to an acoustic amp direct....err...yuk! A preamp would be needed to match impedance etc.

BluesKing777.

Oh no, it is a much more boffin named A&H Zed60-10FX.... [biggrin]

Sounds need double checking though before, for example, running a guitar pickup direct to the Hi Z often sounds great but in to an acoustic amp direct....err...yuk! A preamp would be needed to match impedance etc.

BluesKing777.

That looks like pretty astonishing value for what it does.

That looks like pretty astonishing value for what it does.

A friend said the same thing, ran out and bought one....urgent for his duo gigs......I asked him the other week why he was still using the claptrap PA of his duo partner and his reply was.....he didn’t want to get his ZED dirty or muck it up!

So yes, the theory is it is ready to call to arms, if you want to get it dirty. I better go dust mine. :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Thank you all. I've got some small powered speakers, so maybe a small mixer (i.e. A&H Zed60-10FX a al BK or something similar), but the convenience of the Fishman Loudbox Artist or Bose Pro S1 is pretty enticing.

Thank goodness there's more ways to spend money than just guitars - I was getting worried... That - and I really hope my neighbors appreciate the efforts I'm going through to have a presence in the neighborhood : )

Thank you all. I've got some small powered speakers, so maybe a small mixer (i.e. A&H Zed60-10FX a al BK or something similar), but the convenience of the Fishman Loudbox Artist or Bose Pro S1 is pretty enticing.

Thank goodness there's more ways to spend money than just guitars - I was getting worried... That - and I really hope my neighbors appreciate the efforts I'm going through to have a presence in the neighborhood : )

Although I like my A&H Zed60-10FX, it highlights a smallish problem with electricals....it is already out of date and a new improved model is for sale!

Sme people with a bit of knowledge could bang together a few old components for nearly zip and get great results...old mixer, old preamp, old amp, old speakers..... but back when the bits were brand new, well, that field of devices were really, really, really expensive.....the guy twiddling the knobs would reel off all these figures that were unobtainable to the general Joe Blow. So a few hundred bucks for the latest offerings will all the bells is pretty incredible.

As for your surrounding houses, a bit of fiddle through the new PA would be nice! Or bagpipes. Or.......drums! Yi yi yi.

BluesKing777.

Archived