Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

Hi All' date='

After waiting many agonizing weeks, I finally picked up AL 107 from a dealer in Charleston, SC yesterday. How are these serial numbers issued? I know of higher numbers being shipped to dealers weeks earlier. I suppose they are not issued consecutively. Anyway, the guitar is completely amazing! It sounds absolutely huge! I have several Les pauls and an ES335 but this one has a great big fat tone (several actually). I'm playing through a Marshall JVM half stack, which is an incredible amp in its own right. (BTW, Alex prefers Marshall in the studio. 80% of Snakes and Arrows was recorded with various Marshall amps). One wierd thing...mine does not have the sticker on the inside with the serial number and model number written on it. It seems to me that many of you are being really anal about a few small issues. The volute location is no big deal. It certainly does not render the guitar unplayable as one or two have whined. I've owned many 70's Gibsons (SGs and LPs mainly) and the volute is in a common location. The trem arm does not extend past the body on mine but it seems like an easy adjustment to make. Remember this is an "Inspired By" guitar not an exact copy. Just plug it in and have a blast!

-Eric

PS, A Farewell to Kings was the first thing I played on mine. [/quote']

Hi there

Welcome to the forum.......happy you like the guitar also.....

.....but please don't barge in here telling folk that its" anal" and doesn't matter and that its "no big deal", because it is a real playing issue for a few guys who have bought one and its not as the original from the 70's or as Alex's guitar. Like yourself it doesn't bother me but its incorrect and it is a big problem for a few. If you can show us a photo of one of your guitars or any old Gibson for that matter with the Volute as per this model it would be much appreciated by all.

We've all seen the volutes before on one model of Gibson or other but not behind the first fret like this.....????

Cheers

Johnny

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AL 039 on e-bay still has a way to go before it hits the going market price. This is essentially a new Guitar (less than 3 months old) and currently stands at $3,155.77, with a little less than 9 hours left. The two previous sold for more than the market price. Not that I bought mine for resale value (I bought it because I've wanted one since I saw Alex using it back in the '70s and have no intention of ever selling it), but I'm sure some did. Wonder if the reported issues have had a negative impact?

Hi All' date=' . (BTW, Alex prefers Marshall in the studio. 80% of Snakes and Arrows was recorded with various Marshall amps). [/quote']

Alex played a lot of amps on this album including Orange, Vox, Hiwatt, Marshall and of course Hughes & Kettner - both Triamp and Switchblade. I would have to say that the word prefers here is a bit biased. Alex used any amp that got the desired tone. As far as preference, the only thing we could say with absolute certainty is that in a live situation, for quite a while now he has preferred Hughes and Kettner.

Hi Barry2001, Yes, I got it from Ye Olde Music Shop. They treat ya right down there. When he ordered mine a few months ago, there were only ten guitars left. Barely made it! Been playing Rush tunes all day and I'm scalping tix for tonights show in Alpharetta. Is anyone from the forum going?

Hi Johnny! Sorry, didn't mean to barge in and insult anyone. It just always amazes me that people can get caught up in minutia while others are suffering with real, life threatening problems. At the end of the day, it's just a guitar. OK, an iconic piece of Rock N Roll history representing the hopes, dreams and idealistic philosophy toward a world gone sadly awry...hmmm wait a minute...it IS more than a guitar!! Now I can't play an F bar chord without contemplating the weight of the world! That darn volute! ;^)

Howdy Wondo, Yeah there was a recent interview with Alex in Guitar World or Guitar Player (I forget which) about the recording of Snakes and Arrows and it was like a commercial for Marshall Amps with the obligatory H&K reference thrown in. I thought it was interesting. I'm just glad he got away from playing those Gallien Krueger things. Yikes!

AL 039 on e-bay still has a way to go before it hits the going market price. This is essentially a new Guitar (less than 3 months old) and currently stands at $3' date='155.77, with a little less than 9 hours left. The two previous sold for more than the market price. Not that I bought mine for resale value (I bought it because I've wanted one since I saw Alex using it back in the '70s and have no intention of ever selling it), but I'm sure some did. Wonder if the reported issues have had a negative impact?[/quote']

Just sold for $3,318.79 plus shipping to Japan.

Hi Barry2001' date=' Yes, I got it from Ye Olde Music Shop. They treat ya right down there. When he ordered mine a few months ago, there were only ten guitars left. Barely made it! Been playing Rush tunes all day and I'm scalping tix for tonights show in Alpharetta. Is anyone from the forum going?

Hi Johnny! Sorry, didn't mean to barge in and insult anyone. It just always amazes me that people can get caught up in minutia while others are suffering with real, life threatening problems. At the end of the day, it's just a guitar. OK, an iconic piece of Rock N Roll history representing the hopes, dreams and idealistic philosophy toward a world gone sadly awry...hmmm wait a minute...it IS more than a guitar!! Now I can't play an F bar chord without contemplating the weight of the world! That darn volute! ;^)

Howdy Wondo, Yeah there was a recent interview with Alex in Guitar World or Guitar Player (I forget which) about the recording of Snakes and Arrows and it was like a commercial for Marshall Amps with the obligatory H&K reference thrown in. I thought it was interesting. I'm just glad he got away from playing those Gallien Krueger things. Yikes! [/quote']

I 've been dealing with Michael at Ye Olde for years . I just picked up my Custom shop ES 335 from him May . I remember him telling me he was also waiting on a AL model at the time .

With the US Dollar being so weak' date=' the Japanese winning bid got a great deal.

Has anyone started an AL model registry? It would be fun to track these babies![/quote']

I have a list of 37 AL owners so far. Thought it would be cool to keep tabs.

Gibson forums, Ebay, Musicians friend, etc.

The guy got a great deal as far as I'm concerned; I love mine, volute and all!!!!!!! Just got done playing in fact. Celebrating my 50th which occurred last week (bought my AL for the occasion). My Nieces (one 20 - Guitar, one 18 - drums and one 17 - Bass) surprised me by playing the Overture from R30 (thanks to my lovely wife!!!!!). They practiced for 3 weeks. I couldn't have asked for a better present!!!!!!!

AL 028

1972 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty re-issue

1976 (maybe '74?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

(I've had both of them for over 30 years now)

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

Marshall MG50DFX (used to have a 100 watt Marshall SLP stack, with the 1960AX cabinets back in the '70s. Funny how your priorities change however as you get older).

AL 028

The guy got a great deal as far as I'm concerned; I love mine' date=' volute and all!!!!!!! Just got done playing in fact. Celebrating my 50th which occurred last week (bought my AL for the occasion). My Nieces (one 20 - Guitar, one 18 - drums and one 17 - Bass) surprised me by playing the Overeture from R30 (thanks to my lovely wife!!!!!). They practiced for 3 weeks. I couldn't have asked for a better present!!!!!!![/quote']

Happy 50th to you!!! What a super set of gifts...your AL & the performance by the ladies.

No doubt the winner of AL 039 got a super deal, provided it is not scratched up or dinged, or maybe a volute at the 3rd fret!!! I like being the original and one and only owner myself. Bought mine as a 40th b-day present......one year and four months late!!! Love it a whole lot!!!

Happy belated ron2112 and thanks!!!!!!!!!! I'm with you, I like being the original/sole owner as well. No intention of ever selling any of my Guitars, they all have their own story and mean too much to me. I just love the tone on this Guitar, I've said this before, but it's "A Farewell to Kings through "Permanent Waves" all over.

Oh, a couple of other great gifts; got some pictures of the boys from when we saw them a couple of weeks ago from one of my Nieces (the Bass player). In particular, Alex with his Prototype and my sister gave me several pictures of Alex from when we saw them back in the '70s, several with his 355, one with his 335, once with his 345 and one each with his double-necks. It's kind of funny because you can see how his amps changed over the years. First there were the Marshall's, then, the Hiwatt heads and Marshall bottoms, then all Hiwatt, etc.

Too coooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy belated ron2112 and thanks!!!!!!!!!! I'm with you' date=' I like being the original/sole owner as well. No intention of ever selling any of my Guitars, they all have their own story and mean too much to me. I just love the tone on this Guitar, I've said this before, but it's "A Farewell to Kings through "Permanent Waves" all over.

Oh, a couple of other great gifts; got some pictures of the boys from when we saw them a couple of weeks ago from one of my Nieces (the Bass player). In particular, Alex with his Prototype and my sister gave me several pictures of Alex from when we saw them back in the '70s, several with his 355, one with his 335, once with his 345 and one each with his double-necks. It's kind of funny because you can see how his amps changed over the years. First there were the Marshall's, then, the Hiwatt heads and Marshall bottoms, then all Hiwatt, etc.

Too coooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

Thank you, AL 028. No investment pieces here either; all for self indulgence!!! Obviously my new #1 baby!!!

I would love to check out the Rush pics if you can post. Are you a member of any of the Rush forum sites?

I'm not a member of any other forums ron2112, but I'll see what I can do about posting some here (not all that Techie).

Regards,

AL 028

============================================================================

AL 028

1972 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty re-issue

1976 (maybe '74?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

(I've had both of them for over 30 years now)

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

Marshall MG50DFX (used to have a 100 watt Marshall SLP stack, with the 1960AX cabinets back in the '70s. Funny how your priorities change however as you get older).

I've been following this thread for a while now as I've waited for AL131 to arrive.

Well today Big AL landed and I have mixed feelings about it already.

The volute I don't find to be an issue at all but as another poster said, on opening the case there was all kinds of small debris in there, including some sawdust flakes.

As for the guitar itself, there are some paint flecks and smudges actually on the Ebony on the neck. Either end - first and last frets - there is white paint smudged onto the fretboard. The fifth fret is the same with some slight smudging around the inlay.

The fingerboard itself looks like a lower grade Ebony too. It doesn't feel high quality and mine has some brown undercolour to it, almost like its been dyed.

One of the F holes is also cut very roughly with some rough edges and its actually a little misshapen.

The one-ply pickguard also has rough edges and feels pretyy cheap as well.

Shame my first post has to be considered to be negative but this just doesn't feel like a Custom Shop guitar, not even up the quality of my Memphis Custom Shop Alpine White LP. In fact when I first picked it up it reminded me a lot of an Edwards 335 I had a while back.

In fact every time I look at this guitar I find a little something here or there that is sloppy.

So will I be selling it? Well not sure yet. It's the guitar I've been waiting 25 years for and it would be shame not to get on with it, but all the negative posts in this thread on the quality of the AL's - well I can sympathise.

No way this guitar is worth the $3600 I paid for it....

Guys, I need some help. I just plugged AL for the first time and I can't get any sound out of the bridge pickup with any combination of varitone switch or the kill switch toggled on and off. When I back off the volume control with the pickup selector set to treble, the hum comes up and the the sound is barely audible and very tinny. Bringing back the volume to 10 cuts off the sound again completely. Any ideas, do I have dud or am I being a ******? Sorry to go off topic btw but it looks like most AL owners are on this thread.

Thks

Tez

Guys' date=' I need some help. I just plugged AL for the first time and I can't get any sound out of the bridge pickup with any combination of varitone switch or the kill switch toggled on and off. When I back off the volume control with the pickup selector set to treble, the hum comes up and the the sound is barely audible and very tinny. Bringing back the volume to 10 cuts off the sound again completely. Any ideas, do I have dud or am I being a ******? Sorry to go off topic btw but it looks like most AL owners are on this thread.

Thks

Tez[/quote']

Hi Tez

To start with mate I've not a clue why the bridge pickup isn't working. I also got mine from Wildwood, went over to pick it up in early June, they really are a sound bunch, they'll try and help you with this issue no end I'm sure.

As for the guitar in general, after two months of playing it I absolutely can't fault its playability, its fantastic, like yourself I've been waiting for the best part of 30 years for this to come along and I'm not getting rid. I've always accepted the fact with Gibson that the finish usually has flaws whether Custom Shop or standard production runs, they never seem to meet the levels of finish that the likes of PRS do, but they always seem to deliver the goods where it counts especially the C.S. guitars. Mine to has the rough finish on the 'F' holes, the binding doesn't fit flush at all the whole way round the guitar, the white finish and fretboard though are awesome. The volute isn't an issue with my playing but its a f!*kin' balls up thats for sure and someone should just hold up there hands for that one.....!!!!

But all those flaws taken into consideration it still plays beautifully and its a keeper. Looks like the standard of these guitars is slipping the further towards the end of the run they get.

Speak to Steve, Bruce or the other guys and I'm sure they'll help you resolve the issue......

Best of luck with it Tez....

Johnny

Hi Johnny, yes I followed the details of your trip over to the US. Awesome dedication! I had this one shipped to NJ where my company is based and then shipped on from there. I almost did the same and considered cashing in my airmiles to pick it up from NJ. Thankfully the shipping was only just over 100 bucks and the kind folks at customs declined to charge me anything for it so I think I got lucky. It's a downer on the pup though. I'm handy with a soldering iron having butchered many a guitar with an aftermarket pickup but I'm sure you know it's a pain on a semi fiddling around with elastic bands to get the pups wiring out. I don't think the shop can help though. I don't think the Gibson warranty is good when imported into the EU and it's cheaper for me to get my local tech tp sort it out rather than ship two ways to the US and back. Maybe Parcelforce gave it a good shake in the van to makeup for their lack of customs charges! The parcelforce delivery guy did cheerfully hand over the box to me with it upside down as well. Poor AL came into my place through the door head first and upside down! ;)

Hi Tez, yep it was a trip to remember as we had tickets for the Red Rocks Amphitheatre show on the 8th June, just down the road from the shop in Morrison and it got cancelled due to a bit of rain, well, electrical storms........that was a major downer, but it helped meeting a fellow forumite and his family in the Morrison Inn the afternoon of the show to help drown our sorrows in fine beer & food........

I too was lucky with the old charges, it came home with me on the plane...........

Good you have a tech who can help you out with the problem but like I said about Wildwood, even though the warranty isn't worth the paper its written on, those boys would help out any way they possibly could I'm sure. Let us know when its sorted anyway and see what you think then.....?????

Cheers

Johnny

Archived