Gibson Brands Forums

Learning About Guitars Online

I have learned so much from online videos regarding guitar maintenance, refinishing, etc. and I am happy that this is readily available today. When I started playing guitar, I never had this resource available. So I greatly appreciate this information being around today as I don't have to be at the mercy of some "guitar tech" ripping me off with their crappy setup that I do not find satisfactory. Overall, I can greatly appreciate the internet for this resource alone. Because I have spent a lot of time watching tons of videos of guitar related issues, I have become more knowledgeable to maintain my instruments. As well, you can also get reviews of certain models... Just so much today online that you can learn from.

If anyone else has experiences that they can share that they learned how to do something proficiently from the internet (videos, forums, articles, etc.), I'd be happy to explore some other topics... I like watching refinishing guitar videos, repair videos, troubleshooting videos, reviews, etc. IMHO, it is worth it for any serious guitarist to spend some time getting an education today from the kind contributions of others to make your instrument(s) play at their peak performance. I honestly want to make informative videos myself to contribute to the community as this seems like something I would greatly enjoy.

On the side note, I am still working when I can on my Nighthawk I am refinishing/repairing. I work plenty (day job) and have to take care of my family when I arrive home, so when I get time in the evenings, I spend a little time here and there to address my personal tasks. I will be sharing pictures of the finished product hopefully soon... I wish I took a video on the beginning steps, but at least I will have some pictures that I can share. Right now, nothing much to look at than a partially stripped piece of wood... Not very exciting, but I expect this to look great when it is done!

There is absolutely no question that the net is a great resource for learning and I have used to learn as well.. I find though that when learning to play a beginner need to have those one on one lessons, that instantaneous feed back and the ability to ask questions is vital and neccissary when taking lessons.

Learning licks.

Examples -

I needed to get the "Mystery Train" rhythm pattern down.

I viewed 2 or 3 Youtube "how-to" videos, selected the one that was the easiest to understand/most accurate (I thought), and was playing it in 10 mins.

Same with "Down To The Doctor" (Dr.Feelgood). It's a godsend in terms of saving time.

At the moment it's a great resource.

[thumbup]

I used it while working on Achilles Last Stand and as recent as today when I was working on the chords for Angel of Mercy from Black Label Society.

I had a busted input jack on one of my hollow body guitars and found a great repair tool with a video at StewMack's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=l4_Ro8sqVOI

I won't disagree that the internet has made everything (not just guitars) easier. I'd love to have back the amount of time I spent "moving the needle" on an old record to lean a lick or two - jeez, a reel to reel tape player was a godsend, but I digress.

Before I spend any time looking at YouTube stuff I look at the comments. If they center around "Dude WTF?" or similar, I don't waste my time. If they border on the "Thanks for that" I'll give them a go. As always, YMMV.

....If anyone else has experiences that they can share that they learned how to do something proficiently from the internet (videos, forums, articles, etc.), I'd be happy to explore some other topics...

I played a little folk and early Donovan back in the 60s and I knew NOTHING about guitars. Now I know two or three things. :)

...Well, even this becomes much easier today with videos and such.....

Totally agree. Just watching how guys play a particular piece really opens up a lot of possibilities. I watched Jorma play Embryonic Journey, it was like "Oh, that's how he does it." Of course, it took about 6 months of practicing, but I learned, well, my own version of it anyway. On 12-string. Listen here.

Archived