Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Has A New Dress!

BluesKing777

Here it is - 'Ebony' has a new black dress!

(3 year old filly with new finish on the top - 00 deep body with African Ebony back and sides, Italian spruce top, ebony fretboard, ebony bridge, ebony headplate, real ebony buttons on the Schaller tuners......)

The Cargill "Raptor":

CcJZcOJl.jpg

nrmroxol.jpg

3YTfocql.jpg

And an 'Art Shot' with the gloss top reflecting the sky through my veranda....:

rOQD4ckl.jpg

BluesKing777.

Padding lacquer?

Wazzat?

Sounds like something I need on my old Eames knockoff office chair with legs....came in a box many years ago and now my flatpacking skills are paying off poorly. Though it IS way more comfy than those baby blue generic office chairs.

Did I mention the Cargill sounds and plays sensationally? Originally I gave him the specs from my Martin OM18V chunky piece of neck with 1 3/4" nut and 2 3/8" bridge spacing, ready to fingershred!

BluesKing777.

That is seriously good-looking.

Yes, the rattling old black L-00s are almost out of my mind.....it is like a NGD but not. Bizarre - the rest of the guitar has 3 years breaking in done, I suppose the top has too. Cargill said it would be quiet for a while. He hand shaped a new saddle - he lost the old one while he was spraying it - and I blabbered on while he did it in about 3 minutes! He also had a Kalamazoo KG-11 that someone has put a P90 in and added vol and tone control on the top, selling it for a customer....hmmm.

BluesKing777.

Nicely done!

wondering, why did you refinish a relative new guitar? just curious..

I like black guitars.....and I was considering ordering another Cargill in matt black, but then I was thinking of the current specs and how nice it is to play - it is a super special custom guitar way too nice for the owner, and getting another would make it tricky with the number one in the team vs. number two.....I mean, I wouldn’t want to leave this one in the case. What if the new one was even better? Then I thought I would get the top of this one finished in black, I was originally going to order that but didn’t. I would NOT dream of doing it with another guitar, but I would also fully trust my luthier to do it. And it is great! Goes with the back and sides of ebony better than the natural finish, I think. And of course, it sounds better. :lol: and I have money in the guitar funderoony still!

BluesKing777.

Archived