Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo Killers

zombywoof

I hope someone can find the true origin of this phrase. I have always heard it in the context that the guitar is so loud it can beat the banjo down - but I have often wondered if the term banjo killer was more generic to just mean a guitar of any kind.

The reason I ask is that the flat top guitars of the late 1920s (perhaps most notably, the Martin OM) became popular transition instruments for banjo players who were able to keep their jobs in the orchestra pit by moving from banjo to guitar as banjos were phased out.

Perhaps the term was originally coined to remember that guitars put banjo players out of a job?

I always figured it referred to a guitar with some serious volume and (at least) not get drowned out by a banjo.

The best banjo killer is, of course, a chainsaw. I know, I have two banjos and they both are dangerous weapons that should be put away.

It's a term used in the bluegrass community. It refers to the ability of a guitar to drown out a banjo. Not possible- but fun to try. Here's an old picture of the only instrument that will actually accomplish this feat-

tunin__up_fklife_07.jpg

(The one on the right-- not the left)

A good heavy pick on a solid archtop will work for killing an open-back variety of banjo. (I was able to cover up three of them at once in a big jam this weekend) Otherwise- good luck.

Gibson Flattops, by the way, are not banjo killers. The Gibson tone is simply too sweet and musical to actually become obnoxious enough to drown out a banjo. Only a prewar Martin Dred has the capability - and not all of them are up to the job!

Hey Hoss, that's a great picture!

(Okay, I have to tell my obligatory banjo joke. Actually, it's from a Gillian Welch concert so I can't even take credit..... what's the difference between an onion and a banjo..... no one ever cried when you cut up a banjo!)

For the record, I love banjos :-)

An AJ might qualify. But in general, a banjo in a combo will dominate, so any dread that is designed to produce a loud, strident tone is refered to (somewhat optimistically) as "banjo killer."

Another phrase you will hear is "It will hold its own in a parking lot jam."

The one I am sick of is "cannon" or "tone cannon." Seems every vintage flattop is a "cannon", even if it looks like it was shot out of one.

While we're on a rant, don't you hate it when someone is selling a vintage guitar and the first thing they write is "I'm don't know the first thing about guitars, so I can't really answer any questions ..." Then someone asks for better photos and they always say "Ok, I'll post some better pics" but they never do. If you ask for some action measurements they write "Gosh, I only have an old wooden yardstick with the numbers worn off, will that work?"

Here's one I see once in a while on Ebay: 1940s-50s Gibson guitar with MARTIN STRINGS!

Whoa! Where's my credit card. ;)

Archived