Gibson Brands Forums

Very interesting SG Modern review

Rabs

Not in this particular review, but in a lot of Trogly's recent reviews, one recurring theme is fretboard conditioning. If someone has better information, please feel free to correct me. I think it that guitars leave the factory with its fretboard being conditioned. However, I think Gibson should revisit their fretboard conditioner formula. Two years ago I was travelling and decided to give my guitar a quick setup and a fresh set of strings. I went to a local guitar store and got a very cheap non-Gibson branded fretboard conditioner. When I first applied the conditioner the fretboard looked amazing, but after a few hours the fretboard became very light colored and had an almost white tinge like some of the guitars Trogly reviewed. 

Anyways, these SG modern look really cool. I might have to try one for myself. 

2 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

I don't have time now to watch the video but I've heard good things about the new SG's. I have a 2017 SG Standard HP and like it but it's not my favorite. I bookmarked the video to watch it tonight. Thanks, Rabs.

Whats interesting is the different construction compared to an SG Standard..   That HUGE block of maple on top amongst some other things..  Hes right about the heaviness of the locking tuners.. Not such a good idea on a guitar that is already prone to neck dive.

12 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

Good videos, thank you. The ebony fingerboard is my personal favorite. I like the coil splitting too. I wonder how difficult it would be to coil split my 2017 SG Standard HP.

Depends on how comfortable you are with soldering. It's fairly easy, provided your pickups have 4 wire conductors. I've converted one of my friends guitar from PCB to hand wiring with push/pull volume knobs. I just used a schematics I found at Bare Knuckle and other pickups manufacturers. My friend's guitar was a 2017 LP Classic T, which had 4 wires conductor Classic 57 and Classic 57 plus, which I believe are the same pickups on your SG HP. I've also installed those pickups on my 2017 LP Standard T using the quick connect pickups Gibson used to sell. I have to say that although I much prefer the Classic 57/57+ to the BB pros, the Classic 57/57+ tapped are not nearly as good as BB pros. I think that's why Gibson is using the BB pros on their SG and LP modern. The BB pro and pro plus are bit brighter and maybe that contributes to better coil tap tones.  If you're also swapping the pickups, the BB 61R/61T are a good in between option. I think they are better tapped than the 57s but not as good as the pros.  Also, they are brighter than the 57s but not as bright as the BB pros. Personally, I like the 61s, which I have on my 2018 SG Standard, better than the pros. However, I don't intend, at least in the near future, to convert the PCB on my SG to hand wiring to allow for coil tapping.  Of all Gibson USA pickups I've experimented with (Classic 57/57+, BB 1, BB 2, BB 3, BB 61R/61T, BB pro/pro+, 490R/490T/498T), the BB pros are my least favorite untapped (not to say I dislike them, I just like the others better), but the best sounding ones when tapped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pauloqs said:

Depends on how comfortable you are with soldering. It's fairly easy, provided your pickups have 4 wire conductors. I've converted one of my friends guitar from PCB to hand wiring with push/pull volume knobs. I just used a schematics I found at Bare Knuckle and other pickups manufacturers. My friend's guitar was a 2017 LP Classic T, which had 4 wires conductor Classic 57 and Classic 57 plus, which I believe are the same pickups on your SG HP. I've also installed those pickups on my 2017 LP Standard T using the quick connect pickups Gibson used to sell. I have to say that although I much prefer the Classic 57/57+ to the BB pros, the Classic 57/57+ tapped are not nearly as good as BB pros. I think that's why Gibson is using the BB pros on their SG and LP modern. The BB pro and pro plus are bit brighter and maybe that contributes to better coil tap tones.  If you're also swapping the pickups, the BB 61R/61T are a good in between option. I think they are better tapped than the 57s but not as good as the pros.  Also, they are brighter than the 57s but not as bright as the BB pros. Personally, I like the 61s, which I have on my 2018 SG Standard, better than the pros. However, I don't intend, at least in the near future, to convert the PCB on my SG to hand wiring to allow for coil tapping.  Of all Gibson USA pickups I've experimented with (Classic 57/57+, BB 1, BB 2, BB 3, BB 61R/61T, BB pro/pro+, 490R/490T/498T), the BB pros are my least favorite untapped (not to say I dislike them, I just like the others better), but the best sounding ones when tapped.

My SG does have Classic 57/57+ pickups and I like them very much. I would not want to change them. I have 490R/498T in my Les Paul and they are very good but I like the 57's a bit more. Thank you for your insight. I'll put my coil splitting thoughts back on the shelf.

Looks good.

I honestly dont know if I would prefer this to the 2018 HP or not.

With the Modern I would change the pickups. With the HP I would change the tuners.

I love the Modern's ebony board. I dislike the HP's rosewood one.

Love the HP wider neck & adjustable nut.

I dont like the flamed maple cap on either.

It'd be nice to take both into a booth and compare them properly.

• 4 years later...
17 minutes ago, greywolf said:

She arrived this morning , quite stunning , the top is 3/4" at thickest , it certainly adds BITE.   An excellent value , the pickups are definetely in the ROCK camp , a bit snarly and dirty . 

This is the guitar in the pic above?

[thumbup]

The more I play  this , the more I like it .  This is one of the most amp dependent guitars I own,  on my Mesa Rosette acoustic amp it can be gorgeous and lush , plug it into the plexi and it's a rock monster .   While I have guitars , including Gibsons that cost 3 times as much , none is more fun to play