Gibson Brands Forums

Earliest Les Paul Players

freedy6060

18 hours ago, freedy6060 said:

Let's not forget....

...erm....well, I saw that clip a few years back and I have to ask whether you have you checked out the headstock at the 0:41 seconds mark, Rabs?....

Black-Betty-lo-res.jpg

Here's hoping that Mr. Agnesi isn't reading this thread!

default_eusa_whistle.gif

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Not the first among the first, but weirdly, one of the guys who inspired me to play guitar and in particular my love for LPs. As an 80s kid, I would listen, first to the Brothers in Arms album, then to the Money For Nothing album back to back and admire the guitar in the cover the whole time. Mark Knopfler, who is known for Strats got me into LPs. 

Moneyfornothing2.jpg

Edited by pauloqs

7 hours ago, pauloqs said:

Is that a Double Cut Les Paul Custom?

I'm not a betting man, Rabs, but I'd put pretty good money on that being an early Hamer DC built for, and possibly to the specific spec's of, Martin Barre.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

I'm not a betting man, Rabs, but I'd put pretty good money on that being an early Hamer DC built for, and possibly to the specific spec's of, Martin Barre.

Pip.

Wasn't me who said that  🙂  One too many drams tonight?  😛 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Wasn't me who said that  🙂  One too many drams tonight?  😛 

Ha!..............erm..............[blush]..............

Horlicks still to kick in, I see! Brain-Fart.

DC Les Pauls are, to me, forever linked to you! Every time I see a really tasty DC I can't help but think; 'Ooh, Rabs would like that one!"...

Apologies all round are in order!

Now; where on Earth did I leave my Talisker Camomile Tisane?...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

14 minutes ago, pippy said:

Pip.

I think you might be right. I thought the headstock shape looked off, but at the same time I thought I saw what looked like a split diamond logo. The video quality of that time period doesn't help, does it? 🙂 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

Ha!..............erm..............[blush]..............

Horlicks still to kick in, I see! Brain-Fart.

DC Les Pauls are, to me, forever linked to you! Every time I see a really tasty DC I can't help but think; 'Ooh, Rabs would like that one!"...

Apologies all round are in order!

Now; where on Earth did I leave my Talisker Camomile Tisane?...

Pip.

Haha..  Well cool..  Its something I am very happy to be associated with..

Until Gibson decide I have infringed on their trademark.

I'll get mee coat..

😄

[unsure]

• Upvote 1

As it happens I was working my way my thinking through Pauloqs's thoughts on Mark Knopfler's views on Mark Knopfler using the Les Paul and thought that for anyone even remotely interested in playing guitar this interview, often posted and often seen by us Old Farts, almost has to be, by default, "Essential Viewing 101";

Personally I must have watched it well over a dozen times and I love it more with each viewing.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 2

On 6/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, 01GT eibach said:

Jimmy Page's #1 --  The 1959 and 1960 Les Pauls were highly desired and very scarce even back then.  In early 1969 on Led Zeppelin's first US tour, Joe Walsh  (of the James Gang) saw an interview of Jimmy Page saying that he has not been able to find one of those old Les Pauls.  So Joe Walsh -- who had never met him -- felt compelled to provide him one as he had more than one.   He flew to the east coast to present it to him, charging him his a reasonable value plus his expenses to travel there  ($1200).  Due to a refinishing job commissioned by Walsh, the serial number on the guitar was removed, which has led to many a debate over the guitar's year of manufacture. However, due to the neck profile, most experts concur that it is likely to be a late 1959 model, or an early 1960. 

Yes, but that wasn't Page's first LP.  His '60 Custom was his main guitar during his session years and for some live shows in early Zeppelin, until it was stolen in 1970.  He started playing the Tele to continue the vibe in the Yardbirds when Beck quite and gave it to him.

But Walsh and Page were both playing LPs long before that.   At least 1966 for Walsh and Page started session work in 1963.  I don't know exactly when he got the Custom.

Well, according to the Metropolitan Museum, Page had the Custom since 1962.

Jimmy Page acquired this Gibson Les Paul Custom in 1960 and used it as his main guitar for session work from 1962 to 1967. The guitar was stolen from the Minneapolis–Saint Paul airport in April 1970, when Page took it on tour in the United States for the first time, and returned to him on November 12, 2015. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, pippy said:

As it happens I was working my way my thinking through Pauloqs's thoughts on Mark Knopfler's views on Mark Knopfler using the Les Paul and thought that for anyone even remotely interested in playing guitar this interview, often posted and often seen by us Old Farts, almost has to be, by default, "Essential Viewing 101";

Personally I must have watched it well over a dozen times and I love it more with each viewing.

Pip.

Yep.

• Upvote 2