Gibson Brands Forums

Factory setup issues

ndx202

Hi I am new to the forum. love the Gibson history, have just purchased a 2012 hummingbird.Honeyburst. Setup was not what I expected but I guess when you have to market of a lot of different countries 'climates and humidities. You cannot do a final setup. I feel there could be certified gibson luthiers that set them up basicaly when they come into the country? as I had to pay extra to get the guitar sounding the way it should. Luckily I know a good luthier. The nut needed a bit of attention and the neck needed to be almost straight with only 4 thou relief to feel right. Anyway has anyone else had issues with setup with their Gibson acoustic ? Any comments welcomed. By the way the guitar is fab now.

15 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Sorry, but, am I to understand this is a 7 year old guitar that you just purchased and you're asking about problems related to the original factory setup??

Edit: is it NOS or previously owned?

Sorry for he confusion.. I am a second owner and would like to know if there are any Gibson recomended luthieres in the UK

I'm guessing the factory wants the action to go out higher than lower, easier to lower than the other way around.

With PLEK, this is less of a problem, Martin does PLEK, not sure if Gibson does that.

Never have I had to have a set up done with Gibsons, but i like my action high so accept how they come straight out of the box

H

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harmonics101 said:

I'm guessing the factory wants the action to go out higher than lower, easier to lower than the other way around.

With PLEK, this is less of a problem, Martin does PLEK, not sure if Gibson does that.

Never have I had to have a set up done with Gibsons, but i like my action high so accept how they come straight out of the box

H

I believe they do Plek Gibsons now.. I have purchased 4 new Gibsons in the last 6 months and they are coming from the factory in much better set up mode now days..of course thats just my opinion.

The chances are good that the previous owner never did a complete setup.  Have you inquired to that?

Every guitar, no matter who's name is on the head stock, needs a complete setup on it's purchased.  Factory setups are "ball park" at best and a total disaster of a setup coming out of the box is always possible.

• Like 1