Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilts Were Built By....

Murph

Much research has been done by myself and others, and there are multiple threads on this subject at other sites.

The consensus is that GHS made the Masterbuilts so anybody who liked them and are not interested in coated strings can use this information as they see fit.

Thanks Murph, I will give them a try.  When I first received my Rosewood J45 and strummed those first few cords it was "yeah that's the sound I wanted from a RW J45."  Then when it was finally time to change strings I just went to the cabinet and grabbed a set of my old standards, D'Addario EJ16's.  Whoa not the same guitar at all.  Not bad just not the same or what I wanted.  So I began the string tests game and based on something I read here on the forum went ahead and ordered some Masterbuilts.  I literally put new strings on only to turn around and take them off the same day.  When th MB's got here and I put them on that was it and haven't tried anything else since.  I never did try GHS though so that is good info.

11 hours ago, J185cat said:

Thanks Murph, I will give them a try.  When I first received my Rosewood J45 and strummed those first few cords it was "yeah that's the sound I wanted from a RW J45."  Then when it was finally time to change strings I just went to the cabinet and grabbed a set of my old standards, D'Addario EJ16's.  Whoa not the same guitar at all.  Not bad just not the same or what I wanted.  So I began the string tests game and based on something I read here on the forum went ahead and ordered some Masterbuilts.  I literally put new strings on only to turn around and take them off the same day.  When th MB's got here and I put them on that was it and haven't tried anything else since.  I never did try GHS though so that is good info.

I still don't understand why people would string a J-45 with lights. I've always felt a '45 needed mediums. But that's just one guy's opinion....

Highly valuable information -  apart from the fact that you don't mention the type of GHS strings that match.

The GHS lights seen on their site - bronze as ph. ditto - are 12-54 where the attractive Masterbuilts both count 12-53.

Not skeptical, just disorientated. Can I ask - what is your source ?

5 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I still don't understand why people would string a J-45 with lights. I've always felt a '45 needed mediums. But that's just one guy's opinion....

I use D'Addario PB EJ-15 extra lights.

Suits my fingerpicking style to a tee on many guitars, including my J-45 Rosewood & J-50.

One person's poison is another person's pleasure!

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Highly valuable information -  apart from the fact that you don't mention the type of GHS strings that match.

The GHS lights seen on their site - bronze as ph. ditto - are 12-54 where the attractive Masterbuilts both count 12-53.

Not skeptical, just disorientated. Can I ask - what is your source ?

Go down to post # 14

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553008

Murph-good enough proof for me that GHS has been making Gibson strings.  

Regarding what someone else brought up regarding how GHS packages their own brand packages  vs. Gibsons’, if GHS happens to package the 6th string in their packages slightly different than they did for Gibson, that is no biggie and doesn’t take away from your research.

Good research!  

(However, I still remain a devotee of Martin Authentic Acoustic 80/20 Bronze non-Coated strings (f/k/a Martin Acoustic SPs), but GHS making Gibson strings is interesting none-the-less.)

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

12 hours ago, Murph said:

Go down to post # 14

Yes, it sounds convincing - but still there's nothing on where to find the same bass gauge. 

Should Gibson have ordered 53 instead of 54. Or is there a GHS set not detected by my radar. 

Regarding sting-balls the experience here is that the ones on my stock guitars were bronze where the M-builts out of the pack are silver. 

A detail that always seemed rather puzzling.