Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional owners...talk to me.

PMC

Traditional is as close as it gets to the real deal Les Paul.

To get the "standard" by which all electrics are judged, you must buy a Traditional now.

Seems the 2008 Standard is anything but - way too radical a departure from the norm.

It's the way to go if you're looking to buy new, great pickup combo too.

Reissues are closer to the real deal. They're solid with long neck tenon. Traditionals are nowhere near.

Reissue my nuts...:D

He's talking USA models Timbo...

The Trad is a close as you can get in the USA line ...

A fine guitar ...

Jeez Tim....

Have we discussed this before?

:-)

He's looking at Traditionals, so I'm guessing price is a factor.

Reissues?

Absolutely, if you wanna drop the coins for one.

Not what I read into the question.

Well, that, and all the artificially aged VOS baloney with hardware that desperately needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't buy a REAL 1959 Les Paul that looked VOS unless the price was adjusted accordingly for the sh!tty cosmetics.

But hey, that's just me.

Shiny reissues that look like brand new, yeah, I'm in!

Jeez Tim....

Have we discussed this before?

:-)

He's looking at Traditionals' date=' so I'm guessing price is a factor.

Reissues?

Absolutely, if you wanna drop the coins for one.

Not what I read into the question.

Well, that, and all the artificially aged VOS baloney with hardware that desperately needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't buy a REAL 1959 Les Paul that looked VOS unless the price was adjusted accordingly for the sh!tty cosmetics.

But hey, that's just me.

Shiny reissues that look like brand new, yeah, I'm in![/quote']

Yes but where do you draw the line. Saying "as close as you can get" means to me the best you can get w/out actually buying an original. So I'm thinking like Tim was in formulation of a reply. So then one has to go up the food chain to the reissues, etc... I suppose you can start at EPI's and go up from there, but since the topic is Traditionals, than I suppose that's not exactly worthwhile.

What I don't get is people who bash reissues on price alone. If that is such a problem, then it's one that is easily solved by simply saving up, no?. Though some people just can't being themselves to spend over a certain dollar amount for a single guitar to begin with, so maybe that's more of the heart of the matter??? If it is, than gibson hit a home run with the Traditional then... BTW, I think Traditionals are fine guitars and if I were buying at the price point, it would likely be on the short list of what to buy.

Well....what do you like about your traditional' date=' why did you buy it instead of another LP?

Pros and cons if you please, also post pics of yours.

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

PMC, I don't own a Tradional, but I have played one and it is a great guitar, Certainly would be my hands down pick if I were shopping USA's...

Think about this.

Not Les Pauls, but a Chevy truck.

Small running changes over the years are to be expected.

A 1959 Chevy truck isn't available anymore, not new, at any price.

You can buy a brand new 2009 Chevy half-ton truck that works very well.

You can buy a Denali and spend more than you need to.

You can buy one stripped down with rubber mats and crank-down windows.

Buying the most popular model with the most desired basic amenities is still possible, and still a good idea.

The new Traditional is the 2009 version of a nice 1/2 ton Chevy truck with nice paint, wheels and a V-8.

Don't buy a Studio, it's like the rubber floormat truck with an AM radio.

Works just fine, but that's all you'll ever have.

Don't buy the Worn/Faded ones that missed a trip thru the paint shop.

Like buying a truck painted primer gray.

If the Custom is worth the extra money to you, then by all means indulge yourself.

If a nice, shiny reissue is where your heart is, go for it.

None are BAD decisions.

Just know what you're buying.

None are BAD decisions.

Just know what you're buying.

Wow, these two sentences sum it up best! Very nice. I've been in enough music stores to see "kids" (sorry I'm not getting any younger) buy the first Les Paul they see. Of course any Les Paul is a good one, but they generally think that every Les Paul sounds the same too, which leads to the issue of not knowing what you're buying. In reality one needs to play lots of them to understand the subtle and not-so-subtle variations between them. I have a Premium Plus but I would have never bought it if the sound didn't suite me. For that guitar I got the sound I wanted plus the looks too. In the end I'm learning to appreciate it more every time I play it. To me it's like paying for your house through your own hard-earned dollars over getting a bailout to pay it for you. The first way is the hard and long path but in the end you appreciate your house even more. Same idea for that guitar that "sang" to you after spending countless hours playing others...

Archived