Gibson Brands Forums

NUGD

Dave F

The recent threads mentioning the Gospel got my interest so I started looking for one.

EBay had one listed that caught my attention.  It was listed starting at 900 with make an offer.

The pictures were rather evasive but the description was very specific. Here it is -

Hi up for sale is a 1994 Gibson 100th Anniversary Gospel acoustic guitar. The guitar is absolutely mint with just the barest signs that it had been handled. I purchased it from the original owner who said to me he maybe strummed it lightly a few times. It's a true time-capsule piece..just as it came from the factory. 100th year foil label inside sound hole

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Looked nice enough and with the description I had the EBay guarantee

Toward the end of the bidding I offered him a little less than his starting point.

Just before it was over he accepted it.

When I tried to pay him, his email was not active with Paypal. We got that fixed.

A couple days later the USPS drops it off at my door. No box, tape around the case. Case was not in great shape but the tape did no damage.9Am5UrR.jpg

After I opened it, I thought I got the wrong guitar

Nicks, scratches, fret wear and a nice top crack along the fret board

XrT1nhS.jpg

I immediately started  the return process. He was polite and agreed. Then he asked if I would consider keeping it with a partial refund.

I then did a more thorough inspection. Crack is secure, truss rod (dual action) worked, fret wear could easily be removed plus there are a few high frets, fret board was clean, neck angle was only slightly off and not in need of a reset, nut slots need recut. Did not play bad as is.

I offered $375 and he agreed.

What do you think?

Edited by Dave F
typo

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

I offered $375 and he agreed.

What do you think?

I think Dave ain't afraid of no guitar. Certainly not afraid of what top cracks along the fretboard extension through the rosette do to resale value. These are arched back guitars? I suppose if one was absolutely curious about this model, and one had the set up knowledge (as you do), then at this price, knowledge of the array of Gibson acoustics ever offered could only be increased.

. . . and who ships a guitar in just a case?

The guitar is absolutely mint with just the barest signs that it had been handled.

...except for the crack on the top, the scratches fret wear... why you'd never know it was ever even played..

Jeeze, some people..  really.. shipped just in the case with the shipping label attached...  frikken moron...

My first Gibson acoustic was a 92 Gospel which I later sold and have regretted often.  It was a sweet sounding guitar, very light and I liked the slightly wider fretboard.  If I recall correctly and obviously it has been awhile, I paid about $1100.00 for it new.  So I can't speak to the merits of the deal so much without knowing how much it would take to fix the issues.  I think it seems positive though.  I do know they are neat unusual guitars with that arched, non- brased back.

Whoa! Nice score.  While anything involving soundhole distortion is never good and usually not a cheap fix, you have the time to live with the guitar to see if you like it enough to invest in its health.  The key to the Gospel was, of course , the arched back which helped offset the dreaded un-scalloped Double X bracing.  As the '94 version  lacks this bracing, I  cannot even imagine what one would sound like.  Worth what you paid just to satisfy the curiosity.

Edited by zombywoof