Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar ID Needed

viper155

I know a lot of people are reluctant to do this, why I do not know. I suggest calling Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they can tell you exactly what model that guitar is and be able to answer a few other questions you may have. The call is toll free.

US & Canada: 1-800-4GIBSON
Europe: 00+8004GIBSON1
Edited by Big Bill

12 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I know a lot of people are reluctant to do this, why I do not know. I suggest calling Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they can tell you exactly what model that guitar is and be able to answer a few other questions you may have. The call is toll free.

US & Canada: 1-800-4GIBSON
Europe: 00+8004GIBSON1

Thanks Big Bill......I will do that

7 minutes ago, pippy said:

I don't know my L-5 from my elbow but FWIW I've never seen an L-5 with the split-parallelogram h'stock inlay. IMX they always have the flowerpot one.

Perhaps some years were different?...

Pip.

that's what I was thinking.

how deep is the body?  L5s are 4".. 

In glad I came on here. this guitar belongs to a buddy of mine who bought believing it is an L5. You guys are bringing up some great points, i.e. the bottom of the fretboard, the headstock inlay, etc. Im going to take a ride over to him soon, he is about 2 hours away and perhaps get an expert to look at it. He wants to sell it and Im interested but Im skeptical. 

If anyone else has any input please feel free. This will take time. We have Hurricane Dorian to deal with first! Thanks again all!

For sure, more pictures would help 

pics of the back and side, a close up of the head stock.. and if it IS A USA Gibson,  there SHOULD be a label that is visible from the top F-hole. 

That should have at least a model number,, gibson serial #s are usually stamped on the back of the head stock.