Gibson Brands Forums

Question for International Members

VBB

When ever I travel outside of the US, I can only find ethnic music or house dance thump thump thumping. I try to get off the beaten track, but still can't find places where people play rock or blues.

Are there many places that play American type metal music? Is there a demand by clubs to hire rock bands or is it a counter culture type of thing.

I just don't seem to think of other countries rockin out. Cool if you do, just wondering if that's my misconception???

Thanks for educating me

American type metal music?

What's that?

Oh - you mean American metal bands that we're influenced by UK bands such as Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Whitesnake etc etc etc?

Yes, it's mainly the rest of Europe that are crazy about dance, house, trance, rave music. They love it.

The UK is a different beast altogether - although there is your fair share of pilled up dance maniacs here.

There has been an ever increasing influx over last few years of rock in the UK charts - Lost Prophets, Muse, Biffy Clyro, Elbow to name a few.

I was worried that is was going toward dance, RnB and rap, but it seems to have sorted itself out.

In London (England) it's possible to find some great blues bars absolutely smack-bank in the centre of the city but you would have to do your homework. Although I can think of three within a one minute walk from Oxford Street (the main shopping street - think 5th Avenue NYC) you'd really have to know where to find them as most places play the 'club-scene' style of music. At least one of these bars also does 'Open Mic' nights where you can jam - however be warned; the quality of playing is scarily good....

As far as Metal goes I can't think of any - but then again I've never tried to find any, either.

There's no shortage of rock, blues and other 'non-pop' outside the US. Although a lot of the kids are into hip hop and such, the grown ups play proper music. Try Oslo, Norway - highest concentration of rock/blues clubs per capita, or something like that. I don't really know what 'American type metal is', but there's plenty of metal over here too.

DJ

--

Thanks for the input.

I was going to call it Western Rock but thought that too vague, so went with American Metal.

I don't want to debate the origin of blues or rock, but I will say that I love British music as well. I cut my teeth on the Who, early Stones, and I used to be the biggest Judas Priest fan on the planet. I started early with Rock-a-Rolla and Stained Glass. The ear bleeding dual lead guitars of Glen Tipton and KK Downing was unreal. Lost interest after the Screaming for Vengence stuff though. (side note, I actually met Rob Halford in Arizona at a club in the 80's. Pretty suprised when he hit on me, didn't know he was gay at that point. Pretty down to earth guy.) I also believe the British acts really benefited from the US fans as well. Their criss/crossing tours around this country proved very profitible, so the origin doesn't matter to me. Just happy for the diversity.

By American Metal, I meant Metallica, Slip Knot, Korn, etc. It's not my favorite type of music, but I like it and like to see it done well live. It would be cool to see other cultures take on thrashing music.

I was in Rome and asked a local where I could see some live rock music and this young lady told me after 10pm there was a place up the nearby alley and down in the basement of the second building. I went there at 11 and could look through the window down stairs and saw about 20 people sitting on folding chairs listening to an older gentleman play an accordian with a woman playing a flute.

Thought I would search another way, by following the guitar players on here, to the right places.

the problem in the uk is licensing laws, to have more than a double act play means a pub / club needs a different type of licence, so most just stick with the lone DJ and the crap he plays. i have in my area a few live music venues but they can be a bit clicky and usually more expensive on the beer.

Thanks for the input.

I don't want to debate the origin of blues or rock' date=' but I will say that I love British music as well.

By American Metal, I meant Metallica, Slip Knot, Korn, etc. It's not my favorite type of music, but I like it and like to see it done well live. It would be cool to see other cultures take on thrashing music.

[/quote']

Hehe :-&

No dig intended - just a bit of fun!

Metallica are still huge over here, SlipKnot are a little less mainstream and Korn haven't released anything over here for quite a while (as far as I know).

I live in Bournemouth which is an hour away from London. We have maybe five or six venues that host metal gigs, some of which are pretty decent.

The best place in the UK however (I may have missed the point whilst ranting over what American metal is earlier) is Brighton (again about an hour from London). They have a HUGE band scene that caters for every taste - on a nightly basis.

Thanks for the input.

I was going to call it Western Rock but thought that too vague' date=' so went with American Metal.

I don't want to debate the origin of blues or rock, but I will say that I love British music as well. I cut my teeth on the Who, early Stones, and I used to be the biggest Judas Priest fan on the planet. I started early with Rock-a-Rolla and Stained Glass. The ear bleeding dual lead guitars of Glen Tipton and KK Downing was unreal. Lost interest after the Screaming for Vengence stuff though. (side note, I actually met Rob Halford in Arizona at a club in the 80's. Pretty suprised when he hit on me, didn't know he was gay at that point. Pretty down to earth guy.) I also believe the British acts really benefited from the US fans as well. Their criss/crossing tours around this country proved very profitible, so the origin doesn't matter to me. Just happy for the diversity.

I was in Rome and asked a local where I could see some live rock music and this young lady told me after 10pm there was a place up the nearby alley and down in the basement of the second building. I went there at 11 and could look through the window down stairs and saw about 20 people sitting on folding chairs listening to an older gentleman play an accordian with a woman playing a flute.

Thought I would search another way, by following the guitar players on here, to the right places.[/quote']

Something has changed over the years, that's true: with my old group we had a little bit of success playing cover by RATM, Korn, RHCP, Black Sabbath, Helmet between 1999 - 2002, now the situation is different sure, but not over.

Probably your info in Rome were bad, the scene is alive there, even though it is bigger in the north.

:-&

Switch on the radio in the UK, and it's not easy to find classic rock / HM. No shortage of inferior soul and R 'n' B, along with the manufactured boy girl band scene. Yes, there are local opportunities here and there, but the days when rock was 'pop' are long over. Viewed in comparison with the popularity of other genres, it seems to be of cult status. I have to say that many metal bands have contributed towards this decline by adopting shock tactics in appearance, 'cancer of the oesophagus' vocals and walls of noise that smack of desperation. Where are the songs ?

Black Sabbath, Led Zepellin, The Who, Judas Priest etc are often cited as influences. In what way ? They actually wrote songs...

Melbourne in Australia has some nice rock blues and jazz. Not much metal. Despite its more popular image, the music scene in Sydney is by all accounts, crap. Too much regulation has just about wiped out many venues - yuppies moving into older areas and renovating next to nice old pubs and then pressuring local government wimps about the noise waking up baby! - its a bit like buying a house next to LA Airport then complaining about the noise!

A professional muso guy i know here told me he is now not allowed to drink alcohol or smoke while on stage in Sydney!!! Talk about politically correct crap.

But Melbourne still has a thriving live night life. The poker machines still threaten it (where disco once did) but it survives.

Even Larry Carlton played the local Corner Hotel in Melbourne about a year ago. But i missed it :D

I am guessing you were not her type!

MCK,

you'ld think so right? But she worked at the Gelato shop on via Cavor near the Coluseum and she would give me free Gelato and bat those big brown eyes. If I only knew how to ask "are you over 18?" in Italian! Damn!

Dave,

Clubs or bars that hire rock bands would be better than the band names. When I'm traveling, it would be harder to go were the band plays on certain days, than to go to certain clubs when I'm in a given city on randomn days.

thanks!

Val

Dave' date='

Clubs or bars that hire rock bands would be better than the band names. When I'm traveling, it would be harder to go were the band plays on certain days, than to go to certain clubs when I'm in a given city on randomn days.

thanks!

Val[/quote']

Heineken has a cultural thing going on here called Green Space... They have concerts all around Spain I suspect they do something similar in other countries too... Check them out... Here is a link to whats going on here in Spain.... It's in Spanish though... Maybe you can find it in English too

http://www.heineken.es/microgreenspace/webdefault2005.aspx

Please beware France for Blues or good Rock'n'Roll or other good kind of music and I don't want to say Country Music :(

( All the kinds of music I love).

NOTHING Here :( Except when we have the luck that the great American or English bands come here to play like Popa Chubby and some great Country Music & Blues bands come to Disney Paris to perform ( what a chance for me ).:-

If I would like to live in France for the music, I 'll must already died ! LOL !:(

MCK' date='

you'ld think so right? But she worked at the Gelato shop on via Cavor near the Coluseum and she would give me free Gelato and bat those big brown eyes. If I only knew how to ask "are you over 18?" in Italian! Damn![/quote']

Ah ah ah, my friend you've been victim of a beautiful Italian girl from Rome, just like ....me!!!!

Buy a dictionary!!!!

=D>

Going off topic for a bit but;

Too much regulation has just about wiped out many venues - yuppies moving into older areas and renovating next to nice old pubs and then pressuring local government wimps about the noise waking up baby! - its a bit like buying a house next to LA Airport then complaining about the noise!

One of the finest and oldest-established (50 years +) jazz venues in South London had a new block of flats built right next door to it. It was in an exclusive area and the developers were going to make a killing. The people who bought the flats complained about the noise. The club was given an ultimatum : stop the music or else make your (19th century) premises totally sound-proof; which was to prove impossible within local planning regulations.

The developers therefore made two killings; One financial and the other cultural.

Archived