Gibson Brands Forums

Wanting to learn a new instrument so I bought a keyboard

bigtim

I do not know what I am doing on the guitar at all. Other than the key I am in and the major and minor chords and such. Just the basics is all I know and a few scales. I do things on the guitar but I have no idea what the correct term for whatever I am playing is other than lead and rhythm. 

My mother used to play the piano and her twin sister does still currently at the age of 90. I think it is awesome that my aunt still plays at her age. My mom died in 1987.  I am sure she would still be playing as well. 

Anyways  long story short,  when I was a kid I used to mess around some on moms piano. I never asked my mom how to play, I would just sit at it and fart around and trying to make some kind of melody. Later on as an adult I had access to a piano and kind of picked up it up again and really impressed myself and a few others for a short while.

So now I am getting into recording more here at home and I have some ideas in my head for fills and such for a strings or different sounds. My friend who I record with can play the keyboards and does all  of the fancy stuff. However I cannot just run over to his house every time an idea pops into my head. So today I bought a Roland Juno DS Synthesizer DS 61.  It is a little more than I originally had in mind to spend but after everything I was looking for, I believe it is something I will kind of grow in to once i learn my way around it.  I looked at some work station type or arrangers if you will by Korg too but I already have protools and although I know the one I bought has some ways to lay tracks down internally, I will be recording most of the music on protools itself. I do not know anything about midi and all so i will probably not fool around with that much. however, loading a drum pattern into the protools and syncing the time clocks with the clock internally with protools and this new Roland may be a challenge since I am more of a plug and play kind of guy. But I am up for a challenge!

I like the effect that keyboard pads do for a song too and that is another reason i wanted to get into this more.  I have all of these sounds bouncing around in my heads like string parts and fills or whatever but never had anyway to get it from my head and onto a track.

Anyways, any others out there playing the keyboard too??  Also bought  picture chord chart for the piano and also a picture scale book for the piano as well today because, I do not know how to read music and it will be a way easier learning platform for me.

Here is a link to the one I purchased.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS61--roland-juno-ds61-61-key-synthesizer

Edited by bigtim
  • Like 1

Congratulations! That looks pretty nice.

I have a Yamaha DGX-230 Portable Grand. I bought it about 8 years ago. I still don't really know how to play.

It makes all kinds of neat sounds as well. It has loads of sound effects, different instruments, etc. It even has some decent sounding drums.

And it sounds great as a piano, organ, etc.

I've never taken the time to try and learn much. But I do like messing around with it sometimes. And I have fun!\:D/ Kind of like my Bass guitars.

About the only time I play bass is when I am recording a song and need a bass part. Then I pick up my bass and have at it.

Not the best way to learn for sure.[sad]

Have fun with your new sound machine![smile]

25 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Congratulations! That looks pretty nice.

I have a Yamaha DGX-230 Portable Grand. I bought it about 8 years ago. I still don't really know how to play.

It makes all kinds of neat sounds as well. It has loads of sound effects, different instruments, etc. It even has some decent sounding drums.

And it sounds great as a piano, organ, etc.

I've never taken the time to try and learn much. But I do like messing around with it sometimes. And I have fun!\:D/ Kind of like my Bass guitars.

About the only time I play bass is when I am recording a song and need a bass part. Then I pick up my bass and have at it.

Not the best way to learn for sure.[sad]

Have fun with your new sound machine![smile]

Thanks yeah i understand. I understand completely what you mean. Even if I get to a point where I am kind of making some sort of melody or arrangement that is not out of key I think I will be happy. At least to get the idea across to my friend who will be able to put the parts in i am looking for.

I play the bass as well although I am not  a bass player by any means. I do good to keep up a decent groove but sometimes I get to where I want to over play the part and screw things up. When I have to put  a bass part down I have to tell myself to keep with the beat and not over play it. That is how I try to keep things from going haywire. But at the end of the day, I think I truly love to make music only because of the love of music. It keeps me going and I do learn or develope better skills with this mind set.

• Like 1

hey Tim,  you kind of jumped into the deep in of the pool with the Juno!  it's a good unit tho, and has plenty of sounds to feed your head..

Theory and application wise, you will find there's many things that just "fit" to your head and ears, you just have to learn how to apply those to the keyboards, verses then neck/frets and strings.

I'm still banging away on piano after starting in 2005.   I will say this, I can read much better as a result. 

I think you're gonna love this new outlook.  My hunch is it's going to recharge you motivation wise.   I know that's what happened to me.  I went ALL in..  Still love working the keys as much as I enjoy playing guitar (I'm just way better at guitar and always will be  [woot])

Edited by kidblast

I have an aged and pretty cheap 'General Keyboard' model. Only the piano & organ voices are remotely believable. I use it exclusively for recording. The transpose function is useful for someone like myself who can only play in very few keys. 

I have tried to find something better in the past, but no luck so far. I find the tech complicated!

1 hour ago, billroy said:

Congrats, pretty cool.  Where do you start...  learn a couple simple parts / fills for songs, a couple chord shapes?  I know the beginning to fir elise.

"Fur..."   LOL! 

Ludwig was pretty amazing..  if you really want a project, learn Moonlight Sonata.  that will keep you busy for a few months. 

as for where do you start, Tim actually has a head start, he knows many things that brand new players don't.  The first and foremost being, the importance of practice daily.   With out a practice regiment, nothing moves forward.    He also knows how to build chords, just gotta transfer that to the keyboard.   It comes quicker when you know stuff already..  no concepts to grasp.

12 hours ago, kidblast said:

hey Tim,  you kind of jumped into the deep in of the pool with the Juno!  it's a good unit tho, and has plenty of sounds to feed your head..

Theory and application wise, you will find there's many things that just "fit" to your head and ears, you just have to learn how to apply those to the keyboards, verses then neck/frets and strings.

I'm still banging away on piano after starting in 2005.   I will say this, I can read much better as a result. 

I think you're gonna love this new outlook.  My hunch is it's going to recharge you motivation wise.   I know that's what happened to me.  I went ALL in..  Still love working the keys as much as I enjoy playing guitar (I'm just way better at guitar and always will be  [woot])

Yeah your right. the ones I was looking at were kind of limited as to the sound manipulation being only preset. That is why I stepped up in price.

I think it would seem to work out similar due to the fact that chords all kind of work together through out all of the instruments. I am looking forward to it very much!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billroy said:

Congrats, pretty cool.  Where do you start...  learn a couple simple parts / fills for songs, a couple chord shapes?  I know the beginning to fir elise.

Just picking out melodies at first then applying that to fills and little riffs for my music. It is not going to happen over night by any means!! I have been playing guitar for 40 years now and still do not know anything really. I just play and make things up and sometimes it comes out kind of neat........I think so anyway.