Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Les Paul Special discontinued.

BR1B3R

So I was going to buy an SG Standard 2004 for $950 mint. However, I ended up going to an amazing shop in my area they had a killer deal on a used Fender deville amp. So I ended up buying a 2002 Les Paul special with a 60's neck and that amp. I walked out thinking that I would trade that guitar back in when I found a better used Les Paul or SG in his shop. I really love the sound of this guitar. It just looks as ugly as a whore in Vegas in our troubled economy with coupons going for a real deal (sort of speak)...

I found that this guitar is discontinued and was curious as to why... I also want to know what you in the Gibson world think bout this gee-tar... Hit me up let me know...

There should be three pictures. Please let me know you guys think. I really love hearing the thruth... Thanks to everyone that reply's to this.

photo-2.jpgphoto-1.jpgphoto.jpg

I have an '04 Faded (shown in the recent faded post). It was sitting on a stand at GC. It was way out of adjustment, but by the time everything got straightened out, I really liked it. After an hour or so of playing , I wound up buying it. Wouldn't dream of selling it. It's hard to figure Gibson out. Like the Juniors which come and go. Give em a few years, they'll be making them again

It doesn't have to be the most beautiful guitar to be a great player, but it's not bad looking. I have an '82 Gibson Sonex with dot inlays, bolt on neck, resonwood body, and it plays damn good for a starter guitar. Which pickups does it have and what type of music do you play?

It has a set neck and it plays really well. I pretty sure it has 490R and

498T Alnico magnet humbucker pickups. It has a 60's neck which I liked

playing on more in guitar center. I like the guitar it's just ugly.

Maybe it can be project gee-tar and I make it look better.

yeah, my finish isn't gone 100% to the wood like that in the very middle, but the entire length of the neck is white with streaks where it is almost completely gone. It is not yellow in any spots. Once I get my camera back I'll take a picture and post it. It doesn't necessarily look that great, but it is so great to play.

I for one love the way old worn beat up guitars look. I want to make my guitar look like that without waiting for it to happen over time. Has anyone ever tried this? I know it's a popular thing with Fender. What about Gibson though?

My guitar also has a glossy finish on it. I kind of wished it just had the normal faded finish. I think they look killer that way.

I for one love the way old worn beat up guitars look. I want to make my guitar look like that without waiting for it to happen over time. Has anyone ever tried this? I know it's a popular thing with Fender. What about Gibson though?

My guitar also has a glossy finish on it. I kind of wished it just had the normal faded finish. I think they look killer that way.

I think a large part of the big price tag for a Les Paul is for the finish. I'd be hesitant to mar it. My Jr was relic'd by the previous owner and I really don't like the idea of purposely making a guitar look old. Let it get it's scars the natural way. It'll happen, no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

I have a 2004, my first Gibson.

*It is not weight relieved - a solid slab body.

* The VM Studio has the same finish

* The Studio has the same pickups

*Flat front

*Too cheap for Gibson to make enough profit. I think mine was 450 new without case.

I had one of those and really liked it. It played better than any Gibson I owned including my '61. The '61 was a family guitar, so I would not sell it, but unfortunately had to part with the Special. I wish I had another it resembled yours and had a set neck and it was a Gibson. I heard some say they did not like them as much (looks) until you plugged it in, but the one I had must have been the 1. It was one of the guitars I really regret parting with. I bet yours screams too.

Archived