Gibson Brands Forums

a REAL custom shop sg

SG dude

Probably a lot... but i'd LOVE a custom les paul...

-Faded Ice Tea Finish - Not too much Nitro -

-490R & 498T - Pickups

-Uncovered Zebras

-Asymmetrical neck...

The list is long... they just don't make a les paul that can be described as "Perfect".

As for an SG...

-Totally Natural - No paint whatsoever

-And then i would take it to a local luthier who would gladly paint me a copy of Clapton's "Fool" SG for less than $20,000.

-As for everything else... It's perfect... Add the above to a Standard SG.

I've thought about writing a couple of my fave dealers who order a lot of Custom Shop crap, to ask that very question. Because I would like to compile a collection out of the several thousand photos I've acquired to have the "right" SG reissue made (this one's front-view silhouette, this one's bevels, this one's horn-tip tapering, this one's finish color, etc). Guessing if they would you might be looking at something in the $4K range, but if it were REALLY DONE RIGHT I'd sell a couple things off to fund it and just call it a day. Or Gibson could just let me send them a sh!tload of reference pictures and fix them so that a stock off-the-shelf reissue looks right. ;)

H-Bomb

Or.....

They could just hire H-Bomb as a consultant, and let him fix the SG's identity crisis.

In a few short months (with a very high salary) he could triple sales, make them correct, and all would be good.

That's my idea......

Murph.

Or.....

They could just hire H-Bomb as a consultant' date=' and let him fix the SG's identity crisis.

In a few short months (with a very high salary) he could triple sales, make them correct, and all would be good.

That's my idea......

Murph.[/quote']

that is the smartest thing i have ever heard anyone say about anything ever

Or.....

They could just hire H-Bomb as a consultant' date=' and let him fix the SG's identity crisis.

That's my idea......

Murph.[/quote']

Thanks for the props, fellas! You KNOW I'd have 'em do the SG reissues right, though, for sure! :)

H-Bomb

Yeah man, but i think (going a little sacriligious here) that if we did get a perfect reissue then we should have the colors not be limited to cherry (the real cherry, not the ****** faded ****) but also have differant colors like pewter, a blue that shows the wood grain, black and the natural bursts the standards used to have before the recession.

Yeah man' date=' but i think (going a little sacriligious here) that if we did get a perfect reissue then we should have the colors not be limited to cherry (the real cherry, not the ****** faded ****) but also have differant colors like pewter, a blue that shows the wood grain, black and the natural bursts the standards used to have before the recession.[/quote']

I dont know about the pewter, but i do agree with the rest, but still in classic SG style, not to flashy but not dead, gotta have that SG bad *** deep rich colour to it!

Has anyone ever went to gibson and got a guitar with their own specs?? i would be interested in doing this' date=' but don't know how much these would cost.[/quote']

A couple of years ago I got in contact with the custom shop and I was told they do not do "one-offs" anymore that they would only build you an army. So basically if you can fund a bunch of custom shops at one time then you can get a "custom" now-a-days... they could have changed their policy since then, but it's always worth it to ask. Go to a dealer and have them call.

A couple of years ago I got in contact with the custom shop and I was told they do not do "one-offs" anymore that they would only build you an army. So basically if you can fund a bunch of custom shops at one time then you can get a "custom" now-a-days... they could have changed their policy since then' date=' but it's always worth it to ask. Go to a dealer and have them call.[/quote']

That's it then. The only choice left is to bring in H-bomb.

wouldnt we all love to see gibson come out with a '61 reissue H-Bomb edition....

mmmmm.... You would have a lot of shock related deaths due to the high amount of cherry in the finish...

Wow...

What a shitty *** joke..

Hmmmm...

I'd like to quote you there..........

He said,

"Murph said the smartest thing he's ever heard anyone say, about anything.........

Ever."

Remember that...................

[-X

Murph.

I'm with Murph on this. How about an email campaign to bring in H-bomb as a consultant on the next '61 RI. In fact, I'm sending in an email to Gibby CS now -

Dear Gibson,

The next time a 1961 SG Reissue is being considered for release, I would like to see an SG expert from the Gibson SG Forum consulted. His forum name is hbomb76.

I wonder what they're gonna send back.

Yeah man' date=' but i think (going a little sacriligious here) that if we did get a perfect reissue then we should have the colors not be limited to cherry (the real cherry, not the ****** faded ****) but also have differant colors like pewter, a blue that shows the wood grain, black and the natural bursts the standards used to have before the recession.[/quote']

Kinda' along the same lines, I think black, TRUE cherry, white and Pelham/Sapphire Blue should ALWAYS be available no-charge color options (maybe candy apple red and blue, and TV yellow???). I think the occasional seasonal run of bursts and other natural-finishes would make a lot of people happy too. Good point.

I wonder what the minimum order would be ? :D

See' date=' if we could all agree on a few models and all commit to buy them we could probably go through a reputable Custom Shop dealer and get what we want. We'd have to all be on the same page though, and that might be easier said than done...lol

wouldnt we all love to see gibson come out with a '61 reissue H-Bomb edition....

HA! I promise no cartoon figures or anything, just my name on the neck-plate like the Easton model. ;)

mmmmm.... You would have a lot of shock related deaths due to the high amount of cherry in the finish...

What better way to go' date=' bro? lol It's not cool cheaping-out on finish work, and I think that's an area the SG's sorely lack, but would be a simple fix!

I'm with Murph on this. How about an email campaign to bring in H-bomb as a consultant on the next '61 RI. In fact, I'm sending in an email to Gibby CS now -

Dear Gibson,

The next time a 1961 SG Reissue is being considered for release, I would like to see an SG expert from the Gibson SG Forum consulted. His forum name is hbomb76.

I wonder what they're gonna send back.

The vote of confidence is definitely appreciated, guys. It's not rocket-science, and they SHOULD already be doing 'em right. But a few photos with some notes and a little old fashioned presence and I could have 'em on the road to an impressive compromise in classic 60's SG body-style that'd work for ALL models and wouldn't affect any other aspect of construction. How cool would it be to have Standards, Specials AND "reissues" that had more authentic/classic styled bodies mixed with the occasional modern convenience??? Make the dedicated AUTHENTIC reissues, and also the contemporary stuff too. Like with the Les Pauls (Standard, "Traditional", Classic, etc). And yes, my friends, I would vie just as hard for Maestros options all 'round and attention to the late-60's style reissue concept as my mid-60's dream machines.

H-Bomb

Archived