Gibson Brands Forums

AMPS !!!!!!

dylan94

I have a '93 made in US Fender Pro Jr that I love. 15 watts, 1 tone, 1 volume. I also have a 60 watt 2-12 Fender Hot Rod DeVille that fantastic. I had a 5 watt Swart for a little while but I liked the Pro Jr better so I sold it.

I have yet to experience the pure pleasure of my own tube amp. Been playing Line 6 for 10 years. Now I'm studying the various iterations of micro-watt to 5 watt models that are available, including a few DIY things. I'd like a small but diverse selection of low-wattage tube amps...3 or 4 for starters. A nice tonal palette.

I love my AC30 from vox... I still own a Roland JC120 and two little tiny solid state amps: a vox pathfinder 15 and a Roland micro cube... the pathfinder is a great solid state practice amp, I love it.

As my lowest end roland and vox and my kind-of-higher end roland and vox are great amps, I have come to trust roland and vox and am willing to buy almost anything they put out, or at least give it a try.

I used to own a crapy peavey solid state head and a valveking head... they sucked, really. Worst heads I've ever had.

I used to have (for a really short period of time) a marshall jcm900 that had "dual reverb" or something like that writen on it... it sucked but sold for a great price.

I hate those Marshall MG series amps... I really do.

I especially like all-tube bass amps... for guitar and bass. :) I like some guitar amps but I still seem to prefer bass amps.

My favorite amp brands are Ampeg And Fender. I've played a Marshall or 2 I liked though. Mesa's seem promising, although I've never played one (none in my area). I've heard good things about Sunn and Orange amps as well, they're on my list of amps to try.

Now on to my favorite amps: Ampeg V4, Fender Bassman, Ampeg SVT, Marshall JVM.

I'm thinking about getting an Ampeg V4 or a Fender Bassman soon... I've got a Roland Micro Cube and while that's convenient and all, It just doesn't quite do it for me. Good for near-silent practice I guess though.

I have a Bedrock 600 series head that I'm crazy about. They're not very well known - the company came up in the 90's when Marshall and Fender switched to solid state for a while. Mine puts out 25 ridiculously loud watts via a duet of el84's. I got it as a gift from my boss. It was D.O.A. and wouldn't switch on without blowing a fuse, so I put in a bigger fuse and saw an arc. Turns out that their PC Board models were hit or miss, and he got a miss. A grid resistor next to one of the tubes was soldered too close to the board, and melted away some of the plastic causing a short. 10 minutes and a half inch of solder later, she was back in business. The dirty channel sounded a little too dirty - like J. Mascis big muff muddy. I switched the second 12ax7 to a 12au7, and now it has way more clarity, sort of TS808 style.

Archived