Gibson Brands Forums

Different Gibson j45s?

Getaway

Hey I have a 2019 modern walnut burst j45 cutaway. It only cost 1999 plus all taxes and stuff and I’ve been thinking maybe a standard is better? Or even a deluxe? Has anyone tried all the different j45 models is there a big difference between the Avant Garde and a standard? I assume the deluxe would be best and what not just curious. I was even thinking of getting a matin d28 deluxe. Again I have the 2019 j45 cutaway Avant Garde walnut sides sitka spruce top not a bad guitar but I’m thinking maybe I should get a better one but don’t know if tone would be all that different between a standard and the one I own.

There have been more than 40+ different J-45 models in modern times. It's likely that no one here has tried more than a handful of those. Even within each model, each guitar is an individual. Keep trying them until you find one you can't live without, whatever model you are thinking of.

Don't go by the name to guess what's best: go by what your eyes, ears, and hands tell you.

• Like 1

They're definitely great guitars and if you have the opportunity, try as many as you can even if they're a friends guitar that's not for sale. Knowing what to look for was very difficult.

I've went through a few (maybe not as many as Sal 🙂  ) before I found a keeper.

As far as J45's (and versions) here's what I went through and maybe I'm not done

two modern J45 standards - both gone 

J45 Custom RW - gone

1954 J50 - gone

J45 True Vintage - gone

original 1940's Banner J45 - gone

Kris Kristofferson SJ - still have

Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce - stil have

J45 Legend

The Legend won out over all the others, I look at the other two I have as artist signed collectables.

• Like 2

There's lots of J45s - and I'm betting you got a good one. 

There are different ones, (different, not necessarily better) but as 75H mentioned, interrogate yours and see what you would like.  IMO a J45 standard (sitka over mahogany) is kind of the central reference point, and then other guitars get measured against it.  Not better - just the starting point (but I think it is perfect).  I'd like to have a walnut guitar, it's on the list so be sure to enjoy yours!

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

There have been more than 40+ different J-45 models in modern times....Don't go by the name to guess what's best: go by what your eyes, ears, and hands tell you.

Bingo. The name J-45 really just means a size / scale nowadays. There are cutaways, thinner ones, and every type wood/color you can imagine with different necks/tuners and on and on.

I consider my J-15 to basically be a walnut J-45.

When you get "the one" you'll have no doubt.

Guitars in general, and J-45s in particular - ignore the label.  Ignore the finish.  Ignore the specs.  Play every one you can find until you figure out what your hands and ears like best.  I played hundreds and hundreds of guitars on a long-running quest for Excalibur before stumbling onto the J-45 that has become my all-time favorite guitar ever.