Gibson Brands Forums

Fear Inoculum: New Tool

Californiaman

Have you heard it?

Well, Have ya'?

Thoughts?

Impressions?

Ruminations?

I think the dynamics and textures, mixes of clean, distortion, overdriven tones. Is incredible.

As usual, an excellently engineered album.

Adam Jones' guitar playing is something else.  His range from clean to overdriven/distorted tones, including his wah-pedal-work is really good.

Danny Cary is a very talented drummer and Justin Chancelor's bass work, like Jones' guitar playing, varies both in tonality as well as dynamically.

The only thing about the album that I don't like is Chocolate Chip Trip.  Yeah, I get it, but it's like four minutes I could do without,  I know the Cary's fans will probably disagree, but it's a drum solo and synthesizer arrangement. 

Still, I'm digging this album.

Edited by Californiaman

Dig Tool, they always do stuff that after one listen will get skipped. Haven't heard it, but I'm gonna download it soon and check it out. They came and now with legal scalping and being allowed to sell your tickets back online for whatever price you want, tix were going for $400, I gave a big F U to that noise.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:52 AM, Pinch said:

Never was a big fan, but the songs I've heard from it were better than I expected!

If you have one Tool album, it is pretty much all you need. I would take Undertow out of all of them or Lateralus.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty strong, as you'd expect from those guys. Drums are amazing - if there's a better drummer than Danny they must be something!

i actually think all their albums are quite different to each other, but Lateralus is the standout for me, and it's title track is possibly my favourite song by any band ever (it's right up there at any rate)...and I'm in no way a massive Tool devotee.

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you have one Tool album, it is pretty much all you need. I would take Undertow out of all of them or Lateralus.

Undertow and Opiate.  Opiate sounds nothing like any of the other albums. It's so raw and heavy. Undertow was great because it was so different than anything else at the time. Everything after that sounded like undertow but not as good creatively. More technical and less feeling. I'm kind of jaded,  so I have no interest in the new album.

3 hours ago, RobinTheHood said:

Undertow and Opiate.  Opiate sounds nothing like any of the other albums. It's so raw and heavy. Undertow was great because it was so different than anything else at the time. Everything after that sounded like undertow but not as good creatively. More technical and less feeling. I'm kind of jaded,  so I have no interest in the new album.

Yeah Opiate was raw. Get that Bob Marley wanna be M-F'er out of here.

2 hours ago, duane v said:

Tool has always had great guitar / amp tones. On some occasion very similar to Skid Row Slave To The Grind album.

Hey Duane, don't you play Diezel amps? Or was it Mojave amps?

Jones' use of the 100 watt Diesel and the Marshall Super Bass amp seems to be his foundation. I know they also mix in the Bogner Uberschall and Rivera Knucklhead as needed.  Seems to be the blueprint since the 2006 album, 10,000 Days.

14 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Hey Duane, don't you play Diezel amps? Or was it Mojave amps?

Jones' use of the 100 watt Diesel and the Marshall Super Bass amp seems to be his foundation. I know they also mix in the Bogner Uberschall and Rivera Knucklhead as needed.  Seems to be the blueprint since the 2006 album, 10,000 Days.

I have a Mojave Dirty Boy Amp and 4x12 cab running through an Aracom Attenuator. However I have been using my Panama Shamon Amp with 1x12 cab that has a built in attenuator and a DigiTech RP500. Then tones are just unbelievable