Gibson Brands Forums

Action has raised in the cold

Hi everyone, 

I’m new to the Gibson forum and this is my first post.

i have a historic collection hummingbird 2005,

i bought from a guy who looked after it well, he kept them humidified with planet waves and i have continue doing so, the action was nice and sounded amazing. I have been moving around this year and the temperature has not been regulated, its been cold.

after leaving it in the case between November through till January the action has raised to 3mm. Originally it was 2mm, i took it to a guitar store where they lowered the saddle as there was no more movement on the truss rod as it was turned clockwise fully. It has an action of 2.5 mm now. I would like it back to original height but there still is hardly any more movement on the truss rod.

after reading all about humidity and wet/dry guitars i am wondering how it changed the action so drastically. I have a digital humidifier that read 55% in the case, 

so my question is because the hummingbird was cold does it need re humidifying or  humidifying, i have read that the cold will dry guitar a guitar so that mean it need to be hydrated but my gauge reads 55% so surely that means it is borderline over humidified 

thanks 

Cold weather usually lowers the action due to shrinkage form lower humidity.

In GENERAL, cold weather brings lower RH levels, which can dry your guitar out if you dont take care of it. Dry wood tends to shrink...so a dry guitar cab end up having a lower action, to the point of buzzing if you action was already pretty low.

String height - or action - changes if the nut changes or the bridge changes generally.  Yes the neck does some bending and bowing, but if your relief is what it was when all was good, then what changed...  Did the top of your acoustic change - i.e. lift or move somehow?  I know with acoustics, you have to handle with more care than a solid body...  In the end, it's pretty simple stuff here and if you're not experienced enough to diagnose this, take it to someone who does.  In the future, being that you want an acoustic, you're going to have to be more careful how you regulate the environment conditions that are exposed to the guitar most likely.  Water is not a guitar's friend.  Conversely, it could be perceived as the enemy. 

If it's dried out during Nov-Jan, and you now keep it in a properly humidified climate, I would wait a little longer for it to get back to normal. If the humidity is the only variable that's changed, it should get back to normal eventually. Good luck!

But yeah, I know how it is... Patience is not my strong suit either.