Gibson Brands Forums

How'd you pick your LP out of so many?

Lungimsam

When i was younger i used to buy guitars by appearance and because some musician i admired played it, i kept some of those guitars and some i sold..as i grew older it has to appeal to me visually but its all about the feel and sound now, i now know what characteristics are a must for me (like neck profile and a little bit the weight factor), so i have to play them first, because i have bought guitars that have been spec wise what i wanted but then the neck ends up being a little bit different  and end up selling them

On 2/14/2020 at 3:28 PM, nhwildbill said:

It's really a beautiful product, you can't tell in that photo but the finish is "metal flake" like.

Lightest LP I own with that weight relief and the pups really do their job.  But sometimes I do just put it on the stand and stare at it.
Only guitarphiles really understand. 😄

2020-01-29-182522.jpg

Sometimes I just look at mine too. I start thinking man, those are some nice freakin' guitars. Then I remember they're mine. That's even better

17 hours ago, Realmongo said:

It looks great in the 2 stage blue too!

Guitar Center Exclusive - Midnight Blue.  I totally fell in love with it.

12 hours ago, SteveT2 said:

Sometimes I just look at mine too. I start thinking man, those are some nice freakin' guitars. Then I remember they're mine. That's even better

You got that right brother, especially after I pay off the GC Card. 😁

• 1 month later...

For me, I blundered into it.

It was 2016. My mum had died the previous year, and I was due to inherit some money. I decided I would buy a really nice guitar, something I could treasure and remember her by. After trying out a few, I picked out a beautiful honeyburst Les Paul Standard at my local guitar shop, and they agreed to hold it for me until the money came through.

And then a co-worker and fellow guitar nerd told me the local Cash Converters (a chain of kind-of pawn shops) had a Les Paul in the window. I went and had a look, and I could afford it. I asked if I could try it out, it felt sweet, and I bought it. It was a 2015 Les Paul LPM.

Yeah, a 2015. It had the robot tuners, the brass nut and the extra-wide fretboard. I think that's why the price was so low, people just didn't like those things. I didn't know any better. My main guitar at the time was an Epiphone Dot, which I'd only had a couple of years - I'd played acoustic for years, but I was a bit of a noob with electrics. But it turned out to be my favourite guitar. I have a decent number of guitars now, but this is my guitar. (I did buy the honeyburst Standard when my inheritance came through, and it's a peach, but it's too nice to go gigging with.)

I gave the robot tuners a fair go, ultimately decided I didn't like them, and replaced them with locking Grovers. I noticed grooves wearing in the brass nut and the strings sticking in them - lots of pinging. I emailed Gibson, and even though I didn't have a warranty because I'd bought it second hand, they sent me a replacement, a dark grey metal that almost certainly isn't titanium. I wore grooves in that as well, so I ordered a Graphtech one and that worked. (I experimented with a Zero Glide for a while, and it felt really lively to begin with, but I wore grooves in the zero fret in that as well, so the Graphtech one went back in.

It's a bit of a beast. It's heavy - made with cheaper, higher density mahogany, with only 9 hole weight relief, so it weighs significantly more than the standard, which is made of low density mahogany and has "ultra modern" weight relief. But it's really nicely balanced, so it doesn't really feel that heavy when I'm wearing it. It has a very chunky maple neck - as well as the wider fretboard, it has a "rounded" neck profile. And it turns out, that suits my hands. I have short thumbs, and my left thumb gets tireder playing barre chords on a skinnier neck.

Because it's less precious than the Standard, I've made lots of modifications. and now it does just about everything I could possibly want it to. And the cherry pigment is starting to fade, so the grain on the plain maple top is starting to pop nicely.

img]75237499_10156310987181184_3121285422722

I picked my Tribute because it was on sale. My Epi Plustop picked me. 

The store picked the TR wrench for my Epi Plustop. Long story short, they didn't pick very well, and I was over-eager. It's now adjustable with a Pinch Customized Truss Rod Wrench only.  Exclusive as fk. 

11 hours ago, nhwildbill said:

That's an interesting joy stick ya got there - never seen one like it.

It's a Duesenberg Les Trem II - designed to fit the bushings of a Gibson-style stopbar tailpiece, no drilling or Vibramates or anything like that. It's a more compact, and I think, more elegant, version of the Bigsby, and gives you a similar amount of vibrato but for less movement of the arm. Doesn't do dive bombs. Very stable, doesn't go out of tune easily or pull up when you bend strings. I really like it. Here's a demo from Danish Pete.

I've also tried the Stetsbar, which allows for wider note bending, but I found too unstable for my tastes.

6 hours ago, paddybrown said:

It's a Duesenberg Les Trem II - designed to fit the bushings of a Gibson-style stopbar tailpiece, no drilling or Vibramates or anything like that. It's a more compact, and I think, more elegant, version of the Bigsby, and gives you a similar amount of vibrato but for less movement of the arm. Doesn't do dive bombs. Very stable, doesn't go out of tune easily or pull up when you bend strings. I really like it. Here's a demo from Danish Pete.

I've also tried the Stetsbar, which allows for wider note bending, but I found too unstable for my tastes.

Thanx for posting that video - it was very interesting.  I actually like the look of it, a bit more elegant than a Bigsby.

I expect you used the right screwdriver. 😁