Gibson Brands Forums

J100 2016 walnut

raunchpr

Hi, I am about to buy a secondhand J100 walnut 2016 the scratch plate is missing, seller says it fell off in the hot weather we had and alas cannot find it, will it be easy to get a replacement scratch plate? 

he bought it new and sent me a copy of the receipt I cannot find any like it on ebay etc. any suggestions? the original was plain with a white stripe around the edge.

any advice welcomed....thanks

14 minutes ago, raunchpr said:

Hi, I am about to buy a secondhand J100 walnut 2016 the scratch plate is missing, seller says it fell off in the hot weather we had and alas cannot find it, will it be easy to get a replacement scratch plate? 

he bought it new and sent me a copy of the receipt I cannot find any like it on ebay etc. any suggestions? the original was plain with a white stripe around the edge.

any advice welcomed....thanks

Try Planet Pickguard

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

Exactly how hot does a guitar have to be, for a pick guard to fall off? I would be concerned about other damage. I live in Arizona, & none of nine are even loose.

I've owned a few acoustics and never has one fallen off.  My Guild was 30+ years old when I got it and it has shrunk a bit, but fallen off, never.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, raunchpr said:

it seems to be a common thing I found this on the forum: https://forum.gibson.com/topic/73575-pickguard-starting-to-lift-off/

A few years back, some pick guards on newer model Gibsons were curling at the corners and lifting a little.  Problem may have been due to the supplier not supplying completely flat, stabilized PGs.   The thread you referenced appears to be related to that issue,  which, as Alex noted - is completely different than a PG falling completely off.  If I were me, I would think twice  before buying a guitar which the seller stated got so hot, the PG fell off.  

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I would think twice  before buying a guitar which the seller stated got so hot, the PG fell off.  

Yep. Where do you live The Sun? I have heard of lifting on the corners, But just fell off. Either the worker got so baked at lunch he forgot to put glue on it or that is the absolute worst QA ever.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep. Where do you live The Sun? I have heard of lifting on the corners, But just fell off. Either the worker got so baked at lunch he forgot to put glue on it or that is the absolute worst QA ever.

the seller said he has some pictures of the Pickguard coming loose, I'll post them when they arrive..I'm hoping it lifted off rather than "Fell off" as he said...the guitar look beautiful I have the gimme's so I hope it's ok structuraly...I'm going to inspect it on Monday...I'll keep you posted...thanks..

29 minutes ago, raunchpr said:

the seller said he has some pictures of the Pickguard coming loose, I'll post them when they arrive..I'm hoping it lifted off rather than "Fell off" as he said...the guitar look beautiful I have the gimme's so I hope it's ok structuraly...I'm going to inspect it on Monday...I'll keep you posted...thanks..

I suspect the guitar is fine. I think the situation is, that the pick guard did not fall off from getting too hot, rather, the seller isn’t being completely honest with you about what actually happened to it. No big deal! I’m sure you’re going to love the guitar, & as others have already said the pick guard can be easily replaced.

Edited by Paul14

On 2/8/2020 at 7:39 AM, raunchpr said:

...I'm hoping it lifted off rather than "Fell off" as he said......

I expect that is the case - it started lifting, and he removed it.  Congrats on your Gibby jumbo!  It ought to be great!

36 minutes ago, Cougar said:

I expect that is the case - it started lifting, and he removed it.  Congrats on your Gibby jumbo!  It ought to be great!

trying to upload photo of pickguard the image is too big...I'll figure it out...Thanks for all your help...