Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Big Bill

1 hour ago, Big Bill said:

I'm sure there were a lot of folks that knew it was an Epi without seeing the headstock... It certainly isn't a Gibson, but it's the nicest Epi I ever played outside of their higher end arch tops. Like Gibson, they're putting a positive foot forward.

Great to hear such a positive report. Its helpful to many of us! 👍

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I'm sure there were a lot of folks that knew it was an Epi without seeing the headstock... It certainly isn't a Gibson, but it's the nicest Epi I ever played outside of their higher end arch tops. Like Gibson, they're putting a positive foot forward.

I didn't, I thought it was a Gibson. You got me, even though most of my guitars are Epiphones and I am envious. Epiphone did a new first using "cast Kluson style" tuners with threaded bushings, never seen those before on a stock Epiphone. The old Epiphone Deluxe tuners that look like these were stamped not cast with collars not threaded bushings. Your SG's upgraded tuners should make for very smooth tuning. Then not to forget the P90 Pro's that sound great .. Any way enjoy...

91234777_10217434920366914_5833678100461

90088926_10217434920566919_3339582834963

Edited by mihcmac

On 3/25/2020 at 6:46 AM, Big Bill said:

Thanks gents. I really dig this guitar, it's much more than I was expecting. I purposely left the headstock pics out because I wanted to give a nice opinion. This an Inspired by Gibson Epiphone. I bought brand new for a project guitar, put new electrics, pups, tuners... To my surprise, this thing is pretty sweet. This is without the nicest budget guitar I have ever played. The quality is such that I do not feel the need to upgrade anything on this, it would be stupid to. Pups scream when I want and clean and blue when not, hell they're even braided. The tuners are very good, stay in tune nicely. Only thing I had to do was set the relief on the neck.

They even put the wings on the headstock 

So hows it holding up today... ?

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, Big Bill said:

Thanks for asking, I decided to upgrade the electronics, wasn't please with the pots and switch. Replacing them with an Emerson harness.

So Bill, how did your upgrade go?

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

So Bill, how did your upgrade go?

Well I went farther than I said I would. I did the Emerson Harness and that was a huge improvement, volume and tone knob don't act as an on and off switch like the stock pots did. The dongle much smoother. However, the stock pups started nagging me. They broke up too easy on clean channels. So I bit the bullet and purchased some Fralin's. Wow what a difference! I tweaked the intonation and this puppy is on my wall next to the Gibbys.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Well I went farther than I said I would. I did the Emerson Harness and that was a huge improvement, volume and tone knob don't act as an on and off switch like the stock pots did. The dongle much smoother. However, the stock pups started nagging me. They broke up too easy on clean channels. So I bit the bullet and purchased some Fralin's. Wow what a difference! I tweaked the intonation and this puppy is on my wall next to the Gibbys.

Fralin's are killer. I put many a Fralin in my axes.

10 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I have had a couple of Epi's that the volume pots shut off suddenly, like they had gotten too hot during assembly, I replaced mine with CST. I was curious what the P90 Pro's would sound like on your SG Classic, my 2011 61 SG Special came with P90 Classics that are brighter than the P90 Pro's in my 56 LP.  The neck pickup of the Fralin set normally has a reverse coil for hum-cancelling. Anyway sounds like you have built yourself a killer SG, enjoy...

My 61....    YZ1FFde.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1