Gibson Brands Forums

Learn Some Fingerpicking in your DownTime?

BluesKing777

Good a time as any to get some basic fingerpicking going! Turn your singing/playing into a one man band like Mississippi John Hurt with some alternating bass in ..C!

If you want to go back to the beginning, Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop has heaps of Hurt lessons to download.... no affiliation but I love them!:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/Products/guitar-workshop-instructional-dvds/the-rural-blues-of-mississippi-john-hurt#.XoaRcOozbX4

BluesKing777.

Well, first you have to spend the $25 and download the lessons, watch the lessons, listen to the lessons and then  do it....😎

Here is the sample from another course:

And another:

So you pay the man, download the lesson and they give you 8-10 songs to learn in each lesson with the aim of getting a good grounding in the style, alternating bass with the thumb going boom chick, boom chick and then adding notes when you get the basic bit.

You watch the video, kind of like watching a real teacher, do what he tells you and there is paperwork included with the arrangements of the songs and lyrics for those that like to have  it printed for later on. And you can't smell the teacher's bad breath and he can't hit you on the knuckles with a ruler...

I put the John Hurt lessons up because they are pretty basic and way more interesting than just learning C chord boom chick, boom chick, boom, crash, bang, ouch, ouch, ouch, ow!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

18 hours ago, generaldreedle said:

I'm learning blues fingerpicking from a teacher in Seattle, including this song, Let the Mermaids Flirt with me, and Windy and Warm.  It's hard but fun, particularly on the Nick Lucas!

That is great, General, keep it going...

But it is not much help in the purpose of this thread - for people to teach themselves using downloaded lessons while they can’t leave their house and go to a teacher.

BluesKing777.

25 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

That is great, General, keep it going...

But it is not much help in the purpose of this thread - for people to teach themselves using downloaded lessons while they can’t leave their house and go to a teacher.

BluesKing777.

Understood, my teacher is using zoom.

I'm having a great time holing up in the music room.  Funny thing is I have a boat load of equipment, and what I gravitate too is simply picking up my L-00 and concentrating on refining my technique!  Even in this pandemic insanity, i'm loving my play time- hope you all are too🍺

• Like 1

As the only way I know how to approach a guitar is with my fingers I have gone back to putzing around with both getting the hang of fingerpicks and  hybrid/chicken picking.  I worked out the intro to this one a long time back but never  got around to figuring out verses and such.  Time to get cracking on it.

• Like 1