Gibson Brands Forums

Question About SJ-200 Price

Brucebubs

I have a new 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst on order.

As you may know, this new Historic Series has been slow to make it's way into stores.

I see Sweetwater has a 'Natural' version of my guitar on their site.

What I don't understand is their price.

They list the guitar for US$5999.00 but also list MSRP as US$6899.00 which indicates a US$900 saving!

But if you check out the guitar via the link at the top of the forum page you see Gibson list the guitar for US$5999.00

So where does this US$6899.00 come from?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSJB2057AN--gibson-acoustic-1957-sj-200-antique-natural

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMT3131/1957-SJ-200/Antique-Natural

Theres 1 store up here that asks full pop.  And the case is extra.  Needless to say. They shut that store down they had no buyers.  

rule of thumb up here is what ever is US list. Is canadian selling price up here. 

Edited by slimt

That's a great price.

I'm in Australia so there's added costs for shipping and sales taxes and currency conversion.

Mine works out at US$7700.00 from a Gibson dealer with full warranty.

Edited by Brucebubs

6 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

I have a new 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst on order.

As you may know, this new Historic Series has been slow to make it's way into stores.

I see Sweetwater has a 'Natural' version of my guitar on their site.

What I don't understand is their price.

They list the guitar for US$5999.00 but also list MSRP as US$6899.00 which indicates a US$900 saving!

But if you check out the guitar via the link at the top of the forum page you see Gibson list the guitar for US$5999.00

So where does this US$6899.00 come from?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSJB2057AN--gibson-acoustic-1957-sj-200-antique-natural

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMT3131/1957-SJ-200/Antique-Natural

Who knows ?

But the official price is $5999 for the US.

I have not seen that MSRP anywhere else.

This is a great guitar.I can tell you that much.

JC

so you finally got the J-200 you always coveted mate ?  I remember you talking about owning one years ago on the AGF .. well done matey !

As a side note i would ignore what the pricing says now. give it a month or two, wait till we go into a deep recession. its gonna be nasty but one upside is that guitar prices will drop drastically, in particular the used ones.

3 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

so you finally got the J-200 you always coveted mate ?  I remember you talking about owning one years ago on the AGF .. well done matey !

As a side note i would ignore what the pricing says now. give it a month or two, wait till we go into a deep recession. its gonna be nasty but one upside is that guitar prices will drop drastically, in particular the used ones.

Well I haven't got it yet but yes, I placed an order and left a deposit on Feb 6th this year.

ETA back then was 4 to 6 months but that was before the virus hit the fan.

I loved the 2016 limited edition 1957 SJ-200 but just couldn't get one - this new 2020 version is near identical ( Thermally Aged Adirondack on the 2016, Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce on the 2020 and even thinner varnish I believe ... even comes with a period correct hard case!)

Over $12K here.

3 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

There is a (used) 2005 Gibson SJ200 True Vintage model at Guitar Emporium in Port Melbourne - $AU5,495.

BluesKing777.

That's not a bad looking model too.

I'm going to give the order I made at least 12 months grace with what's happening now worldwide - if nothing shows up in that time I'll start looking around in Australia again ... if I'm still here!