Gibson Brands Forums

"Blanche"

dhanners623

Knew right away who Blanche was before you spoke a word, Dave.  This is conversational, lyrically speaking, and well written.  When it ended my first thought was "but there's more to the story"........but not if the tale is about Blanche was the second thought.  Nicely done, sir.

Thanks. I should maybe give it a different title. "Blanche" was kind of a working title and I never got around to changing it.

Blanche was kind of the odd-man (or woman) out of the Barrow-Parker Gang. Clyde and Bonnie were out-and-out psychopaths. Buck had a lawless streak and was a killer. Blanche was, by all accounts, just a normal woman who loved her man and then found herself in over her head. There's no evidence she ever even held a gun. 

Thanks, all. I just started recording my videos in the spare bedroom since my wife is now teaching at home. This way, I don’t disturb her.

I’ve been wanting to watch “The Highwaymen,” too, but we haven’t yet.

The events in the song take place a few months before Clyde and Bonnie met their end. The posse in Iowa captured Buck and Blanche, but Clyde and Bonnie and an accomplice named W.D. Jones got away.

Edited by dhanners623

Excellent, David !  Really good songwriting and performing.  A great ballad and story.  I enjoyed that a lot.  Not just because he’s no longer with us, but because it’s true——-This is a John Prine kind of song——simplistic (and in a good, good way), easy to understand, clever, everyday language, believable, and even if it wasn’t about a real person it easily could have been.  I think you did one-hell-of-a-good-job on this song.