Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Vs. Clapton

Boston004681

Clapton took Freddie King licks and sensibility into rock and roll. He made it louder' date=' arena rock. Then he reduced his talents to lame MOR pop pabulum. He was/is a fine guitar player, but no innovator.

Hendrix blew the doors off conventional rock and took into a new direction. It's hard to remember now just how spectacular he was at Monterey and over his three studio albums. He revolutionized rock guitar, and his lyrics ain't bad either. [/quote']

He can't sing though.

Clapton did "Little Wing" when we saw him in concert last summer. Jimi did it better.

I love me some Clapton' date=' but Jimi really transformed rock.[/quote']

Little Wing is my favourite Hendrix track. It wasn't the flashiest or most technically brilliant - but the emotion is second to none.

As for my choice of Clapton or Hendrix, I'd take Jimi, but being in a Gibson forum, it is entirely understandable that a lot of guys have chosen Jimmy Page as being top dog (myself included).

That being said, Sunshine of my Love is quite a hair raiser =D>

Machine gun off of the Band of Gypsys album is the best guitar solo of all time .It truly trancends guitar playing.If you havent heard it listen to it.I love the Beano tone don't get me wrong but Jimi is my favorite hands down.There was nothing like him before Are you experienced came out.Townsends feed back and distruction was like a angry teenager.Beck was all bumble bees and hornets with his fuzz tone.Jimi's tone and attitude was all about sex.Here I come baby ,I'm comin ta getcha, was pretty wild on 1967 radio believe you me.Remember also that he was 24 when his first album came out and he was allready the complete package.Cream was just as much if not more Bruce's trip.

I think its all personal preference and all were at one time or another at the top of their game. Personally for me my ear was always drawn to Eric's style of playing and songwriting. Jimi's stuff I enjoyed in small doses (while admitting he changed electric guitar recording and performance forever) but could never make it through a whole album. Page on the other hand had no influence on me at all. I found the whole zep rockstar thing crap. From Plants whiney voiced yelps to Jimmys sloppy lead runs I just never got it. I thought Bonzo was an awesome drummer though.( Puts on helmet, goggles and protective padding and waits to be pummeled)

he-lion-yawning1.jpg

I never really compare the two, that way. Just enjoy what they both did, and...in EC's case, still does.

Who's "better," is just another "Tail Chase," IMHO. We all like who we like, and don't have to justify

it, by this "he/she's better, than him/her" stuff. Or, as John Lennon loved to say, "It's All ****!" LOL!

CB

Archived