Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger Tuners

SteveFord

For those of us with Firebirds from the years in between the banjo and the current mini Grover tuners, be VERY careful with the Steinberger tuners.

I was changing strings earlier today and both the Low E and Low A string tuners broke.  

I heard this  loud SNAP! noise as I was loosening the strings and one tuner broke right in two, the other one is all wobbly in the bushings and won't hold the string tight.  I've had guitars for over 45 years and never had to replace tuners before.  I see why they stopped using them.  

You can't buy them individually from Gibson (Stewart Mac has them back ordered) so it looks like I'll have four back ups which is probably a good thing to have lying around.

From reading all the reviews maybe I just got a bad batch?  My 2013 Firebird was fine so who knows.  

Even so, I wish they would have stayed with the banjo tuners, I liked the looks better and I never had them break when I was removing strings.

Edited by SteveFord

I'll post some pictures when I put the replacements in.  One came out in two pieces and I had no success in repairing it properly, the other one won't clamp the string properly.

The string will get clamped tight, when you tune it the string gets pulled down into the bushing.  As soon as the string gets pulled down into the bushing the string goes all loose and sloppy.  Just weird.

I should mention that I'm at least the third owner of this guitar so who knows what happened to it before I bought it a few years ago.  The tuners on this one have always been weird, sometimes they'd work normally and sometimes they'd stick and I'd have to press them down to get them to work right.  I think I'll just replace them all in one shot and keep the originals for spares.

Edited by SteveFord

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

But I didn't and Gibson had them in stock so next week I'll replace them all and hope for the best.

I was just thinking about changing the Strings on my V with Steinberger's.. Think I'll wait...

I have a 2012 V, no problems yet. I thought I bought a used guitar from CME, but it still had the plastic on the pickguards etc... It might have been a similar sale like they did with the ES Les Pauls in later years.

Was there a bad batch of Steinberger's at a certain time? I will say this for the Steinberger's, they are ideal to tune your Guitar on the exact dime.... Smooth..

Although, I have never changed the Strings? I'm lousy about changing Strings.. My least favorite thing about playing Guitar... If they still sound good I don't change them...

• Like 1

The English leaves a little to be desired but that's the problem, that little pin (part number 32).  

The good news is you can buy replacement tuners on Gibson's site so aren't stuck bidding on used ones on eBay.

Edited by SteveFord