Gibson Brands Forums

Local band that almost made it big...

saturn

It was  brought to my attention that someone recently uploaded a song from an old Baltimore band named Trigger Happy. They were one of the biggest local bands in the 80s. The track is off a 98 Rock compilation album from back in the day. It's hard to find any good old footage of TH so this was cool to find. 

The singer/guitarist/writer was a guy name Gary Scharbough. He unfortunately passed away a few years ago after a fight with cancer. I didn't know him well but met him at least a dozen times, as he was next door neighbors with one of my band mates. By the time we met him he had long since "retired" from music and actually became a minister. He was still cool as sh!t, and would tell stories of the good old 80s scene and how his band was supposed to be signed to a major label. Don't remember exact details but something about the NY office closing and everything shifted to LA and the two East Coast bands got lost in the shuffle. The two West Coast bands that ended up being signed I think he said were The Knack and Billy Squire? Don't quote me n that. 🙂  

He sat in with us at acoustic gigs sometimes or at rehearsals in Steve's basement. Again, he was an all around great dude and before he died there was a huge benefit for him. Most of the big local guys from bands like Crack The Sky, The Ravyns and others were there and they all had a huge jam. I missed it cause my other band had a gig that night. 

Anyway, here's the track. It is very 80s sounding but that's what it was at the time. To me his voice sounds like a cross between Bon Scott and Biff Byford of Saxon.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love Crack The Sky. Surf City here come the Sharks. Dodge City here come the lights. Hey_______ here come the______. Hey pretty here comes yourself.

Oh yeah. I could list 10 great CTS songs off the top of my head. They technically weren't originally from Baltimore, but kind of relocated to the area and became huge.     

3 minutes ago, saturn said:

Oh yeah. I could list 10 great CTS songs off the top of my head. They technically weren't originally from Baltimore, but kind of relocated to the area and became huge.     

No from West Virginia. My buddy turned me on to them years ago. Ronnie For Robots kills me.

Zappa was born in B-more.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Cool story, appreciate you posting.  Almost feel a bon scott days acdc vibe going on here... till the solo anyways.   I couldn't say I had heard of this band, but I'm sure I've heard this song before.  My high school days were the 80s...  Again - thx for posting.